LegacyGT.com

little extra umph..

so my little DD Legacy decided to spit out a spark plug from the drivers head. took it out to have it fixed and decided to show the head to another friend who does A LOT porting on motorcycle and ATV's. the machine shop fixed the plug threads, he offered to pull the heads (now have to remove the other one) all the way apart and clean all the valves, check the guides, and port and polish them a little. all i have to do is some welding for him. to bad i can't get a set of Delta Cams QUICK!

should have them back in a week and on the car. i will let you all know how it works out.

also found out that a set of engine mounts off my 06 WRX swapped in and appear like the will work out perfectly once i set the engine back down. worst cast may have to do a tiny bit of grinding on a lip on the subframe, no biggie though. they are stock mounts but only have 26k miles on them compared to 155K

i know you don't have to, but i don't like to take the chance of getting the metal down in the head. plus i don't like Heli-coil's either, my machine shop uses a full steel insert that is staked in solid.

on another note, my guy rebuilding the heads found most of the exhaust valves were burn and needed replaced. we are probably also going to be ordering some Delta Cams also, should be a good little bump in power.

DD = Daily Driver

i have an 06 WRX/STi mutt that i like to leave in the garage most of the time. i bought the Legacy for $700 with a bad front diff. it is a LSi with a small rust hole in the rear quarter by the gas door and great leather for being 15 years old! so far we replaced the trans, changed a wheel bearing, new axle, ball joints, some free suspension off an 07' Impreza, bigger brakes off a newer legacy (also free), and now the engine work.

well it looks like we are going to be holding off on the cams. decided that right now we just need to get it back on the road and have better things to put the 200 bucks in (like front Brembos for the WRX) i dropped off new exhaust valves at the head shop and he said they should be done by the end of this week. going to get the gaskets and will let you know how it turns out.

• 2 weeks later...
alrighty...got the damn thing back together. the head shop was late on the heads and then wanted some valve seals and then finally finished them. it was a long install night in the dark, luckily it was about 60 degrees out and nice. Got the heads back on and buttoned it up. Had the timing off a little somehow, i think it had to do with a lot of fatigue and not enough light. fixed that and then had a huge vacuum leak with a hose that didn't make it back on the intake hose.......getting frustrated by now cause it won't run right! next it runs but seems to have an idle hunt issue. found we didn't torque one side of the intake manifold....now the damn thing runs great! As far as a power increase, there isn't a huge hit or anything but it does seem to rev quicker and pull harder up top. if we had done the cams and had a way to add some fuel i bet it would be a night and day difference. i am also running this through a bone stock car, so no header or exhaust either.

Archived