LegacyGT.com

Clutch replacement question

I modded my car for about 325 lb. ft., and then I replaced the stock clutch with a SPEC stage 2+ with a lightweight flywheel. Unfortunately, I did not pay attention to the instructions that said you're supposed to break the clutch in gently. Not me, no-I revved it up to 5,500 and let it loose pulling out the shop's parking lot. It's worked pretty well for about two years, but it's starting to slip when it gets hot. I think it's time to replace it again, and I want to make a better decision.

The dealer (Mastro in Tampa) says I should use a stock clutch because "it's the weakest link on purpose." That means it cheaper to fix than any of the other drivetrain parts, so it might as well be the weakest part of the chain. Another reason I might consider a stock clutch is that I hate the rattle associated with the lightweight flywheel. From what I read, this happens with them all.

Any recommendations. Can I get away with the stock setup? I only do autocross once in a while, no drag racing, and I don't plan to mod for much more power. What do you think?

I modded my car for about 325 lb. ft., and then I replaced the stock clutch with a SPEC stage 2+ with a lightweight flywheel. Unfortunately, I did not pay attention to the instructions that said you're supposed to break the clutch in gently. Not me, no-I revved it up to 5,500 and let it loose pulling out the shop's parking lot. It's worked pretty well for about two years, but it's starting to slip when it gets hot. I think it's time to replace it again, and I want to make a better decision.

The dealer (Mastro in Tampa) says I should use a stock clutch because "it's the weakest link on purpose." That means it cheaper to fix than any of the other drivetrain parts, so it might as well be the weakest part of the chain. Another reason I might consider a stock clutch is that I hate the rattle associated with the lightweight flywheel. From what I read, this happens with them all.

Any recommendations. Can I get away with the stock setup? I only do autocross once in a while, no drag racing, and I don't plan to mod for much more power. What do you think?

This is a decent thread in the transmission forum:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121077

Hanslo

Archived