LegacyGT.com

Parrot MKi9200 is very nice

Nobody Special

It's a feature on most 2005-2006 Legacy/Outback OEM HUs (and some previous years where OnStar was an OEM option).

See post #5 here (in my 'Stock HU FAQ' thread on NASIOC -- scroll down to the section on 2005-2006 Legacy/Outback) and this post.

Thank you.

Do you think it works on the Canadian models too? I know we never had OnStar here.

Oh, and does the wiring on the Parrot have the ability to ground out pin3 to switch to the phone input?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you think it works on the Canadian models too? I know we never had OnStar here.

Oh, and does the wiring on the Parrot have the ability to ground out pin3 to switch to the phone input?

What is the model number printed on the front of your OEM HU? I think the same ones were used in the US.

According to a forum post I just found, the Parrot's mute wire does go to ground when muting. So you may indeed be able to connect that directly to the OEM HU's pin 3. I would check the Parrot with a voltmeter first. In the worst case (if the Parrot pulls its mute wire up to some voltage while "off"), you might need to add a small relay.

Nice install,

Thought I'd throw in my two cents with a word of warning, I've had the 9200 for about 5 months now and to be honest the thing has been more trouble than it has been worth.

1) Bluetooth connection can be sporadic at times with the connection dropping out and then refusing to re connect until you restart the kit

2) Audio function with iPod is also not without bugs, can take a while to scroll and access songs, Ive tried it with an iPod video (just playing songs though) and a 2nd gen iTouch (which was even worse)

3) Be careful where you replace the remote, you have the ability to attach to the steering wheel which can be useful but it does take time to get use to. also check that there is no shielding in the dash between the main box and the remote as this can cause probs.

4) Contacts work well however and voice recognition is excellent. Call quality seems to be top notch

5) Don't expect firmware updates to be easy. Whilst parrot seem advertise that this is as simple as downloading the file, putting it on a usb stick and plugging it in it is never this simple. I know of people who have bricked their kits doing this.

Check out the Parrot forums if you want more information, they seem to paint a pretty accurate picture of what the parrot devices are actually like :)

Have Fun....

Installing the CK3000 right now. Installing the controller in the ash tray slot to make it completely hideable. pics to come

Holy **** that A Pillar clip SUCKS to get off! been trying about 20 minutes and can't get it off.

Installing the CK3000 right now. Installing the controller in the ash tray slot to make it completely hideable. pics to come

Holy **** that A Pillar clip SUCKS to get off! been trying about 20 minutes and can't get it off.

The one at the top?

Don't pull it off. You need a thin flat screwdriver. Come in from the top of the pillar and press down towards the bottom of the pillar and it will pop right off.

The windshield place broke mine, cost them a new A-pillar when I discovered they glued it back together :rolleyes:

All installed and working great! Tried it at all different speeds and everyone said they could hear me totally clear. I'm really happy with the product for the short period I've had it.

The controller fits great in the ash tray pocket too. The only problem is that the hole in the top isn't big enough to let it close. I'll be taking it out and making some modifications this weekend and I'll get pics then.

The one at the top?

Don't pull it off. You need a thin flat screwdriver. Come in from the top of the pillar and press down towards the bottom of the pillar and it will pop right off.

The windshield place broke mine, cost them a new A-pillar when I discovered they glued it back together :rolleyes:

Yea I was doing exactly that and the damn thing wouldn't pop loose. I tried all different angles, pressure, and nothing. Anyways, I just ended up pulling the pillar out far enough, and popping the lower clip out, then threading the wire all the way down. Worked out fine :)

Pics of the install:

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=92756&stc=1&d=1290290168

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=92755&stc=1&d=1290290168

I like it there, its very subtle. Thats the only clue that the bluetooth doesn't just come stock with the car.

853456439_Pastebot2010-11-2016_48_12PM.thumb.jpg.4438050a0cea3869f18610f2d99da939.jpg

1653830815_Pastebot2010-11-2016_48_32PM.jpg.7f065f819328c31596779c1a46e811ad.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know how this works with a HarmonKardon system in a 2009 2.5SE?

1. I see the QCHBC-Sub1 quick connector costs almost 3x what the non-HK connector does.

2. QuickConnectProducs FAQ has a FAQ about how in some cars the sub does not mute when a call comes in. Does the HK system fall into this?

Thanks for any feedback.

Edit: Sorry, found the answer in port #5 in the definitive hands free phone thread.

In that post, I was talking about 2005-2009 models without the harman/kardon system -- models with the under-seat accessory subwoofer, and ones with the OEM rear cargo subwoofer (only found in some 2006 spec.B and Outback VDC models, I've since learned -- these are the only ones whose subs use the car's 8-pin "i85" harness).

I've updated that post to clarify.

In 2009 models with the h/k amp, the HU is still sending speaker-level signals to the amp. So the normal QCSub-1 or QCSub-1MK harnesses should work.

In 2010-2011 models with the h/k amp, the OEM HU sends line-level signals to the amp. So you'll need the Parrot to send a comparable signal (which means using their special HBC harness, or modifying things yourself to attenuate the Parrot's audio). [uPDATED: Actually, in 2010-2014 Legacy/Outback models with the h/k amp, the HUs do still send amplified signals. So it actually should not be necessary to attenuate the Parrot's audio being fed to the h/k amp (via the factory radio harness).]

In any case, the h/k amp uses the radio's 4 speaker signals to generate the subwoofer signal. So when the Parrot mutes the 4 main speaker channels (by effectively cutting the connections between the HU and h/k amp), that will also automatically mute the OEM HU's music going to the h/k sub.

• 6 months later...

It just occurred to me that if you have a 2005 or 2006 OEM HU (with the built-in [but unused] phone input feature), you can combine that with one of the many aux-in hacks (Jazzy, Leptronix, DIY soldering), so you can wire up the Parrot to route its phone audio into your HU's phone input and the streaming music into the aux in (and even skip the ISO and QC harness madness, if you don't mind cutting some wires on the Parrot's harness). If someone would like to be a guinea pig, I can help out with the harness for the HU's phone input.

Would doing this give the stock HU control over the volume and give the speaker amplification back to the stock HU?

Would doing this give the stock HU control over the volume and give the speaker amplification back to the stock HU?

Yes and yes. You'll be using the Parrot's line outs for its aux audio output and for its phone audio output.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
It is not bad at all. The parrot has a dozen or so EQ settings and it can power those speakers well.

Not bad meaning similar to the head unit? Because I am very pleased with how the stock H/U sounds (I have no exhaust upgrades or anything, all stock, so my cabin is pretty quiet)

i will say it is not as good as the stock head unit since it is only pre set equalizers. you dont get as much bass out of it. i use it all the time for pandora and slacker radio and it sounds good enough to make me happy. plus you dont have any wires going to your phone when you are playing music from your phone. it is all blue tooth. i would rate it at a 8 out of ten compared to the stock head unit.

i will say it is not as good as the stock head unit since it is only pre set equalizers. you dont get as much bass out of it. i use it all the time for pandora and slacker radio and it sounds good enough to make me happy. plus you dont have any wires going to your phone when you are playing music from your phone. it is all blue tooth. i would rate it at a 8 out of ten compared to the stock head unit.

Thanks! This helps. I will have it hooked up to the iPod pin connector though, so I think that will just tap the lines vs. the streaming BT. It would really be awesome if it uses the H/U's power as well. But either way, I'll be picking one of these up now!

Hey guys, so i was hoping to get some info on whether i should get this. Looks like a great solution. WagonDreamin has me a bit worried about sound quality. Also, am i able to install an aftermarket sub and amp with this? Using the stock head unit with dual climate control, plus the Parrot Mki-9200.

Anyone doing something like this?

• 3 months later...
Can anyone tell me if the MKi9100 kit allows me to listen to music on my ipod and have my iphone on standby via bluetooth at the same time. I'm assuming it should be possible as theyre both connected to the kit independently and if a call comes in the music is muted once the phone is answered?

• 1 month later...
Can anyone tell me if the MKi9100 kit allows me to listen to music on my ipod and have my iphone on standby via bluetooth at the same time. I'm assuming it should be possible as theyre both connected to the kit independently and if a call comes in the music is muted once the phone is answered?

I have the 9100 hooked up in my wife's car and it works as you have described. The iphone is paired, she has her ipod connected in the glove box, and music playing on the ipod is paused when a call comes in. It's a real nice unit and I have been very tempted to pick up another for my car as well.

Archived