LegacyGT.com

When I was in the shop yesterday I was talking to the tech about the durability of these H6s and he said that while they are virtually bulletproof I need to be replacing the Idler and Tensioner Pulley for the drive belts at about 90k or they are very likely to fall off. Is this true for these 3.0s? I typically am very weary of listening to anything a dealer says but this one is known for being very reasonable and truthful. I just figured I would ask.

I can't say you need to do that. Can't say we seen one fall of, but if you want to pay for it then fine.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

• 2 weeks later...

So pulled in the garage tonight and got out to notice that there was a squeak under the hood. It looks like it is the pulley directly to the left of the A/C clutch. I have a video but couldn't get a good picture and also couldn't find a diagram to find out which pulley it was. It has also started to while very loudly at startup in the morning.

Sound like a bad idler?

[ame=

]
[/ame]

edit:

Found a diagram and it looks to be the gold colored pulley in the picture...is this the idler that the mechanic said would go bad?

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u42/Cvilleelk8807/53d289f6.jpg

Ironic that your tech mentions it, you ask here about it, and then it happens just as expected.

Idler pulley is easy to do. Very VERY easy if you have an impact gun. If not, just stick something through the pulley to stop it and undo the bolt.

I can't get that thought out of my mind at how "ironic" this is but the shop I was at is a highly recommended place locally by tons of subaru junkies.

As far as the install, I think I can do it but I worry about getting the belt off and not being able to get it back to the right tension...I have never worked with belts or tensioners before.

It'll be just fine. If the belt squeals, obviously not tight enough. Good rule of thumb is tight enough that it is just tight enough not to be able to turn the belt over with your hand. As in if you place your hand on the belt parallel to how it is running around the pulley, you can't flip the belt over.

Archived