LegacyGT.com

Spec B upper perches vs. KYB upper perches (not tophats)

bgLGT

Hey guys, are the front JDM/Spec B upper perches the same as those used on the USDM KYB struts minus the cone spacer/washer? I see two different part numbers but I hear this is normal with subaru. Trying to sort out all the little details for what I have planned for my car. Thanks

Thanks Mike. I'm trying to figure out if the ride height difference is due to the top hats only or if other factors are involved. Also heard the lower perch heights may be different when I was searching. Looks like I just need to pull this stuff apart when I get stateside. Sucks to lose a daily driver just for measurements though.

bgLGT the top hats are different. I know there are side by side pictures on the LGT forum but I can't find them quickly. Pasian did this upgrade and added some washers below the bearing.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gr-suspension-handling-stiffening/157788-group-n-strut-mount-install-done-2.html

This link is from the iwsti forum. The picture here looks exaxcly like ones I have seen in the past. One of the contibutors will give you the washers you need to make this work.

I have a set of spec B top hats on the way and plan to measure the height differences between the spec B and LGT top hats so that I put the washers in the right spot.

Thanks ifbiker, I know that the tophats are slimmer on the Spec B but those pictures really help explain why. Esp. the spacer on the KYB's. I found pictures in a search on LGT.com but that iwsti thread is much better. I'd still like to know if the front upper spring perches are the same on both cars or if the JDM style is different. I'd like to solve just exactly what makes the Spec B. ride higher. Is it solely the top hats or is it a combination of the upper and lower spring perches with the top hats. If you look at the threaded portion of the strut rods of both the Bilsteins and the KYB/Koni's the turned down portion after the threads is much longer on the KYB/Koni's. So I think what I'm going to do is make a spacer on the lathe to make the KYB/Koni mounting dimensions identical to that of the Bilsteins; similar to the spacers TiC sells for making 02-03 rear struts work on 04+ WRX top hats. I'd just like to know what else is different about the setup besides the top hats.

I have the Koni's in hand...they were going on my '06 GT until I got a deal on a leftover '09 Spec B. I guess essentially I already have all the necessary parts, just sucks to tear my DD down only to take measurements and then wait on springs and related parts to arrive. Of course I'm in Qatar now and I'm not sure I can do this during my three week December break. BTW...what springs are you going to use? I'm wondering if we'll have a hybrid front end...not as much drop as KYB's but lower than Bilsteins when using JDM springs (Pinks). Just some things I've been thinking about.

I think the lower perches on the Bilstiens may be the reason, but if you pull the front wheels and measure from the mounting bolts to the bottom of the perches you should confirm/deny that real quick.

The spacers are the quickest easiest route to go ($3 for SS Washers at Lowes).

:)

-mike

I will be running iON springs. From what I have read the Billy perches are about 3/8 of an inch higher than the KYBs. So springs designed for Billy struts used on KYBs should drop the car about 3/8 of an inch more than if they were used on Billys. Springs designed for KYB used on a Billy strut should lift the car by about 3/8 inch over the designed height on the KYB.

Archived