LegacyGT.com

1998 legacy clutch won't release

While driving on a 100 mile trip I stopped at a light and couldn't get the transmission back into gear, I had to shut it off and start it in first gear and float shift it to get home. Once or twice the pedal stayed on the floor.

Checked under the hood, no leaks from master or slave, had someone push the clutch pedal, slave moves and moves the throwout lever, lots of play if I push the slave cylinder rod all the way in.

I think the clutch is just so worn that it is impossible to get enough push to release it, but would appreciate any advice from anyone who has had a similar problem or knowledge on the subject.

Either you lost all your clutch fluid from a leak somewhere, you have air in the system somewhere, or you have a bad throw-out bearing or pressure plate. If everything is dry and the fluid is at its normal level, I'd try bleeding the system. If that doesn't fix it, time to dig in and inspect the clutch assembly.

I looked down through the throwout lever opening, hard to tell but it looks like the center of the bearing may have come apart, it is still pushing the fingers but not enough to release them.

New problem, the left ball joint pinch bolt sheared off when removing it, so I have a second major projetc to go along with the first.

Is it cable or fluid clutch system? if it's cable u need to tighten it, if it's fluid, probably your master cylinder is gone, it happened to me and I got to buy a new one. even w/ no air in the system and new fluid the new clutch stayed down...

I really doubt that it's the master cylinder. There is no leakage past the cup and the throw is full and firm. The master will also stay down if pressed past where it usually travels, which seems to be the case here.

Right now i've got everything apart but can't get the tranny and engine apart. I've never seen a tranny so stubborn.

I really doubt that it's the master cylinder. There is no leakage past the cup and the throw is full and firm. The master will also stay down if pressed past where it usually travels, which seems to be the case here.

Right now i've got everything apart but can't get the tranny and engine apart. I've never seen a tranny so stubborn.

the master is the one w/ the reservoir, not the one that acts on the clutch lever.

Mine didn't have any leakage also, just replaced it and voila. U dont need to replace the actuator if u don't want, just the master.

It usually last for 45k miles, but people actually forget to replace it when they replace the clutch. U got check your clutch kit also.

when you replace the fluid (suggested each 25k miles), the master cylinder can be faded and when it have to work in a new position it might just don't have enough power for that anymore.

Finally got it apart, one of the damper springs had broken free on the pressure plate and jammed up the whole works. No damage to the flywheel or pressure plate but will be replacing the plate along with the disc.

Just a tip for anyone with a similar problem who stumbles upon this thread...

When you check for a master cylinder leak, don't just look in the engine compartment. I had a master cylinder go bad on a 94 Civic and it didn't leave a single drip in the engine compartment - it all ran inside the cab and pooled under the carpet.

edit:

Finally got it apart, one of the damper springs had broken free on the pressure plate and jammed up the whole works. No damage to the flywheel or pressure plate but will be replacing the plate along with the disc.

I later had this sme problem with the car, but it was most likely due to the way I drove it (highschool...I think that's self explanatory :lol:).

Archived