LegacyGT.com

Smoke From Hood Scoop

I have a 2005 Legacy GT (5EAT, STG 2, 75K Mi), when I start the car for the first time in the morning, after it warms up (about 5 minutes or so) I noticed blue smoke coming from the hood scoop at a stop.

It does this for about 20 min. or so, then stops for the rest of the day. I started it today, ran it and then brought it back in the garage to see where the smoke was coming from...and it appears to be the turbo area, and it smells like burning plastic (oil?).

I was thinking maybe the turbo seals? I havent been on LGT.com in along time, so if this has been answered before, I apologize...

Just trying to track down the problem.

Maybe a plastic bag got onto the exhaust. Also check your cv boots. If the front inner passenger side cv boot has a tear it will fling grease onto the up pipe.

There are some threads around about the 05's having some burning smells, (mine does) but since I can't find the source, it doesn't use any oil or coolant and runs fine I have chosen to ignore it.

Maybe a plastic bag got onto the exhaust. Also check your cv boots. If the front inner passenger side cv boot has a tear it will fling grease onto the up pipe.

There are some threads around about the 05's having some burning smells, (mine does) but since I can't find the source, it doesn't use any oil or coolant and runs fine I have chosen to ignore it.

I think you've nailed it here. The oil level doesn't seem to be going down at all. I got it to smoke and pulled it into the garage to check, and it appeared to be coming from the turbo/downpipe area. I examined the CV boot, and it is badly ripped, there is also burn marks on the exhaust right near the boot. Ill replace the boot and then see if the issue persists, then i'll start oil leak hunting. Thanks for the tip on where to look.

• 3 weeks later...
Well, the new boot is on and regreased , I checked over the joint and everything looks ok. However the symptoms are still there, the smoke from the hood scoop, so Im giving it a few days to see if there is any residual on the downpipe, then its oil leak hunting time.

Oh it will last for a while. Once that grease gets on the downpipe area it won't leave unless you strip it down and clean it out. It will stop smoking eventually, but it will take a long, long time before the smell stops...

Or you could get your engine washed! :) Some detail shops offer that service. You may want to look into that. Burnt oil smells like crap. I know it gives me a headache while the new car oil burns off the engine. That's why after I bought my Legacy brand new, I took it to a detail shop and had the engine area washed.

I suffered smoke coming out of my hood scoop once, I had a coolant leak at the turbo. Simple worm clamp fixed the problem. (once I figured out where it was coming from)

Yeah, someone had mentioned that, Im going to check the coolant level

Archived