LegacyGT.com

Water/Meth Dangerous?

FPerron

The rules makers in the time trial club I run with found out that some of us are using water/meth injection, and are trying to make a safety issue out of it. I'm just wondering how other types of motor sports groups (drags, autocross) deal with this issue. My club has already passed a rule defining water/meth (in any concentration including windshield washer fluid) as a fuel that must be treated as such. That means tanks must be separated from the passenger compartment by a bulkhead or firewall, and that lines running through the passenger compartment must be braided steel. There is another rule being proposed that would require all cars using water/meth to have full fire suppression systems.

All this seems really, really hysterical to me. What do you think?

Challenge them to find a single example of anyone's washer fluid bursting into flame, either spontaneously or as a result of a wreck. It has NEVER happened.

If you pour washer fluid onto a flame it'll extinguish it. If you used a spray bottle to mist a flame with washer fluid, it'll extinguish it.

You'd need a very high concentration (basically pure methanol) to become a fuel or accelerant.

Challenge them to find a single example of anyone's washer fluid bursting into flame, either spontaneously or as a result of a wreck. It has NEVER happened.

If you pour washer fluid onto a flame it'll extinguish it. If you used a spray bottle to mist a flame with washer fluid, it'll extinguish it.

You'd need a very high concentration (basically pure methanol) to become a fuel or accelerant.

Yes, you and I know this to be true. When I did offer this challenge, the response was that there was no way of telling if someone was running pure meth. Apparently, no one ever heard of simple $10 hygrometers:lol:

Archived