LegacyGT.com

New snow tires, 52 PSI!?

jasonheyd

This past Friday I had new Blizzak LM-60s snow tires put on my 2010 LGT.

I didn't actually drive the car all weekend but today, on my way home from work, the TPMS warning indicator lights up.

So, I pull into a gas station to see if there's a problem. I check all four tires, and find that all of them are reading 52+ PSI instead of the 33/32 that I would expect.

I run them down to where they should be, and the TPMS warning light goes dark.

So, yeah...

I haven't called the place that mounted the tires (I'll do that tomorrow), but I'm wondering if the 160 miles that I drove at over 50 PSI might have damaged the tires.

Any advice?

(...or thoughts as to why the ____ someone would pump a tire up to 50 PSI when it says right on the tire that running over 40 = asploding tires & probable death by out of control careening across the interstate?)

The duche probably looked at the max load and filled it up to there. I had a second set of tires mounted on the spare rims and filled with nitrogen. The guy told me when I picked them up he did not know what they were going on so they max inflated them. At leat I did not have some fool just let me put them on anddrive off. I would think your tires would be fine, but I would definatley call them up and ask WTF?

I got the new LM-60's last week also. So far so good. I did a couple runs to 110mph and they run nicely. Yesterday I drove 4 hours in a rain/snow mix at 55-65mph and the car felt really solid. 52psi is dumb... but I haven't checked what they put mine at... I better go check it out!

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

If you're doing track runs and hitting those speeds, I think you'd notice if they were at 50... I felt like I was bouncing a pontoon boat down the Mass Pike at 60-70 MPH.

I never imagined someone would put the tires on the car at max pressure & let me drive off, so I was just wondering if the Blizzaks were that funky & different from the stock Potenzas.

They're definitely different, but the car feels a lot less like a pogo-stick now. :icon_roll

Archived