LegacyGT.com

Does the undertray provide salt/sand protection?

Last winter I had an issue caused by bad icing conditions, (parked in messy ski area parking lot during a storm with temps dropping) my diff overheated when I was attempting to get out and the interior filled up with smoke. Transported car to dealer to be checked out, "entire underside packed with ice". Got and cleared speed sensor codes, P0500 and C0108. Picked up car after being thawed out and checked OK. Been running fine since. Now, 10 months later, I go to change the oil and the undertray is missing! Made it easier to change the oil, but I wish the dealer had told me they removed it... Aside from the aero benefits(not my concern), is there a real "engine life benefit" in protecting the bottom of the engine compartment from winter sand and salt? Should I even bother with it?

If you have GT, the undertray plays important role in keeping pressure differential so the air flows thru the intercooler.

Even if you don't have GT, the aero benefits are not negligible.

If you have GT, the undertray plays important role in keeping pressure differential so the air flows thru the intercooler.

Agreed ,,the OP was owned by the dealer.(If he has a GT)

Yeah, stock GT-nonL 5M w/42k, never pushed. So without the undertray, you're saying the turbo is not getting enough cooling which could lead to a shortened lifespan/breakdown? I'm sure the dealer had no malicious intent, but he better make things right ASAP!

That makes sense but how does the air scoop on the hood overcome all the pressure of the air coming in from the grille? I'd think the grille opening is forcing more air into the engine compartment than the small scoop on the hood can overcome (at reasonable speed).

Great article unclemat! I never realized the undertray did anything but get in the way during maintenance. Makes sense though. Airflow under the vehicle would obviously increase pressure into the engine compartment reducing flow from the grille and hood scoop.

Yeah, stock GT-nonL 5M w/42k, never pushed. So without the undertray, you're saying the turbo is not getting enough cooling which could lead to a shortened lifespan/breakdown? I'm sure the dealer had no malicious intent, but he better make things right ASAP!

Uh oh, as a fellow Mainer, would you mind filling me in on which dealership you went to? I have had TERRIBLE dealership experiences with Subaru both here in Maine and at home.

Archived