LegacyGT.com

My wife's 05 OB has recently started having issues with the fan. Whenever we turn the fan on it is very loud. In the past we have had similar issues and it was usually something in the fan itself like leaves or a dead mouse. I checked the fan and it seems to be clear. I then removed the plastic peice from the passenger footwell so I could get to the fan motor and noticed that the white padding that goes up against the fan motor is stained with rust. I'm not sure if maybe water was getting to the fan and dripping down to the pad and caused the motor to get louder somehow. I am going to try to remove the fan motor but is is pretty cramped in the footwell and some of the screws are in tight spots. Not sure what I will find if I do get it out anyway, but I would rather try everything I can before taking it to the dealer. We have an extended warranty on the car, but there is a $90 deductible and we would be charged just to have them look at it.

Anyway, sorry for the long post but I was just wondering if anyone had a similar issue and if so what they did to fix it. Thanks

Oh and by loud I mean it is a whirring sound that downs out most every other sound. It is annoying to even have the fan on the lowest setting.

• 1 month later...

Update.

I removed the fan to see if there was anything in it that was causing the noise. It looked fine excepts for some surface rust on some parts. I tried spraying WD40 into the motor but it didn't help. I have an extended warranty on the car so I brought it in. They replaced the fan and also the rear electric window switch because one of the rear windows wouldn't work when using the drivers master control switch. The deductible on my warranty is $100 so that is all I had to spend. I had looked at just buying the fan unit myself but the cheapest was $140 so I figured might as well have it done under warranty.

140?? damn that sucks. my fan is making noise, too. oh well, ill just turn up the music....

Maybe if you scour junkyards you could find a legacy or OB and get the fan unit from it for cheaper. I just looked online and looking at dealer sites and after market sites it was about $140. Pulling out the fan is very easy and swapping it out can be done in about 10 minutes.

I assume it's quieter now?

Quiet as a church mouse. I'm wondering if water was getting in and caused the bearing to go bad on teh fan. There was rust on some parts of the fan and there was rust colored stains on the white padding under the fan.

Archived