LegacyGT.com

impreza sti to legacy

fredxday

hi, I'm new to working on cars, complete newb.

i own a 97 legacy gt 2.5 and had a few questions.

i want to drop a impreza STI in to my car, so before i do something stupid like spending a few thousand on an engine/tranny i wanted to get a few peoples opinions on it, as well as other third party's that im asking about it.

its not 100% on the engine I would be purchasing yet, but I saw I believe an 04' 6 speed on ebay. and my questions are as follow;

the transmission being a 6 speed, how does this conflict with a 5 speed legacy? because im a newb Im looking at it as my sifter being built for a 5 speed. would this need to be rebuilt and fitted with one for a 6 speed? also would I need the computer to that same model/engine to run 6 speed?

also, doping the engine in. would it even work/fit? I figure I'd save alot more money just buying a turbo sti engine then having the whole thing completely rebuilt just to put a turbo in. I read some where that if I'm pushing more then 7/8lb turbo I'd end up blowing the head gasket.. and I definitely don't want to be doing more damage then good

it any one has some good suggestions, tips or alternatives it'd be much appreciated thanks.

btw. I am aware of the electrical component hell that comes along with this, and I'm making the care for performance, not luxury. so like I said, any alternatives are greatly appreciated.

i believe the cases for the 5mt and 6mt are different and thus you would need the driveshaft swapped out.

and if you are going to swap the STi tranny in..then you would need to swap out a lot of other things..

will it directly bolt up?...i dont know..but i know there are a few threads here from guys doing a swap to 6mt from 5mt. you could read up on those.

as for the engine...i would imagine that would drop right in if you already have a 2.5l engine.

i'm assuming your car is non turbo...if that's the case,, yeah you'd want to drop a turbo specific engine in there since the compression ratios are different.

on a non turbo engine, i believe 9 pounds is REALLY pushing it...but i'm sure someone that is more definite on that answer could chime in

My buddy ken is a necular engineer and has worked plenty with naval ships, cars, computers etc and after looking at the car said I could do a super charger, cheaper then doing turbo, and cheaper then buying a whole new engine.

some one stated it here or at NASIOC about SC being harder then turbo but we will know when we charged.

I was also informed after doing some looking around and anything more then 7lb will pretty much blow your head gasket after pushing the engine so hard, or even worse. since the engine isn't meant to be turbo charged.

I also asked about the tranny, because I have seen alot of the STI engines come with there tranny to the car.

but after further inspection changing my wheel bering today we can across bolts that were rusted bad, or broke off removing as well as my ABS cable so the engine might have to wait if we have this problem just on one part of the car. so we get to pick up a used knee Assembly from the yard tomorrow

I have always felt like 6psi is about the safe limit for boosting a n/a engine. To do a STI swap you will need to swap in the engine, ecu, transmission, make some custom driveshafts and axles, and change the rear diff. Basically the entire powertrain is different and would need to be changed. The entire shifter assembly would be transferred from the donor sti.

Basically it's a huge and complicated project that will cost twice what you expect and take twice as long as you want it to. Not exactly what I would reccomend for a newb to cars. The results however would be awesome.

Archived