LegacyGT.com

Strut bar or sways?

Bret

I am thinking about improving my suspension and was wondering if it would be better to do a strut bar or do front and rear sways? I want improvement but I know its cheaper to do a strut bar. I was just wondering if that would be a good start or if I spend twice the money are front and rear sways gonna be that much better??? Any advice is appreciated....

Is it worth having both strut bar and sways??? Or do they hurt more than help having both???

I think the most common advice about strut bars is not to bother. It seems that they are only one part of a more comprehensive body tightening effort. (I only know this from reading these forums). For improved suspension/ride I can definitely recommend the anti-sway bars. This is the only suspension mod I have done so far. They drastically reduce body roll with little affect on ride quality.

Search through this forum. There is a ton of helpful info on all kinds of suspension upgrades - far more than I can relate to you.

Hope this helps,

Hanslo

Yep, pretty much what Hanslo said.

Sways will actually change the dynamics of the suspension, resulting in less body roll and the concomitant flat cornering. A strut bar will somewhat reduce chassis flex, but until you've done a lot more suspension work chassis flex is the least of your handling worries. Sways were the first change I made to my car, and only now am I considering moving on to chassis stiffeners (and even then it seems like the various Cusco/AVO/SPT underbody braces are probably more effective than a strut bar).

sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

Thanks guys. I was thinking the same thing after reading a couple more forums. Just needed a second opinion. Do you guys have any suggestions on which sways to get? Cobb, AVO, Perrin??? I think I want to do mostly Cobb modifications on my car because they seem pretty high quality but if something is better I may do that. Any input?

All good choices, whiteline makes good sways too.

First upgrade I did to my LGT and got a used JDM rear sway for $100 shipped two years ago, but I've been ready for a f&r setup for awhile now. FYI, the OEM endlinks are actually decent, but stout mounts are a good idea.

Strut bars do nothing.

Sway bars do lots.

+1000000000000

Let me say this again. Strut bars do NOTHING. They look nice, but thats it. If you think that with all the rubber bushings in the stock suspension, not to mention the body's longitudinal stiffness, that a strut bar works on a 2005+ LGT, so be it.:lol:

Long before you mange to twist the body, the rubber bushings will deform, the body will roll and the tires will slip, thus negating any possible benefit from a strut bar.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Archived