LegacyGT.com

What am I doing wrong?! (Injector o-ring replacement)

I've got a 98 Outback that sprung a leak from one of the injectors. I replaced the large upper o-ring with a new one, and put it back in and it still leaked. Pulled it out to find that it had gotten pinched on one part and a piece had been sliced off. So I put another one in, this time spreading gas on it with my finger. Today I pulled over on the road to find that my engine block was COVERED with boiling fuel (after two days of non-issue.) Pulled the injector and found that a tiny sliver (1/4") had again been pinched and sliced. What am I doing wrong?!?! Any hints as to how to do this correctly? I've never done it before, but it can't be that freaking hard to do - it's not a complicated procedure. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I know this is old but I am responding in case someone else runs into this and needs to know.

You need to lube the o-rings with motor oil or another clean, fuel-safe lubricant before you install the injectors or fuel rail. Gas is not a good lubricant. The o-rings are getting pinched and cut because they are getting rolled out of their designated seating area during installation. This is causing the o-ring to fail.

I too learned this lesson the hard way.

Archived