LegacyGT.com

WRX style TD05H-16g and fitment v.s. VF40 rebuild 18g upgrade +porting

jfg22557

^^^^^ An HTA68 and an XO2 FMIC. Phuck the fogs, go HID's

I like biz77's suggestion here. The HTA is reasonably priced and you cannot beat the XO2. I have one, with 4300HID's. I never miss those useless foglights.

When I upgrade I will most likely go with the FP68HTA.

You could put an FP Green on there with the stock fuel system, it's just how you tune it. :)

What I think you misinterpreted:

Dont really think even the best pro tuner could get an 18g turbo running at peak performance numbers with stock injectors and pump.

Never said it couldnt be done, just would be pretty pointless/inefficient. But not trying to nitpick :p, comments appreciated.

Small 16G and VF39/VF43/VF48/VF52 will all perform very similarly.

I would take an EVOIII 16G over an 18G any day of the week.

If you are thinking of spending 18G monies and going to a front mount intercooler, then you should look very closely at the Forced Performance HTA68. It will spool as fast as the VF-series turbos and offer more power potential than anything else mentioned in this thread so far. They are $900, but tough to get right now.

If I were you, living in NY, facing Winter: Buy a used VF40. Piece meal your upgrade together over the winter when you find good deals and slap it all on in the Spring. We should be seeing a couple of new inexpensive FMIC options, there is a new turbo vendor coming on board and Forced Performance should be coming out with some new options...

Now this seems like just what I'm looking for. Heard some talk about the hta68, but never really did enough research to realize just what its potential truly is. What size compressor wheel do the 68hta's use though, just out of curiosity? Says on FP's website that they still utilize the td05h housing and are made from a 16g platform, but do they change the wheel?

So I guess for now I'll have to be smart, pool my resources, and swallow my aspirations to go bigger.... just yet:).

^^^^^ An HTA68 and an XO2 FMIC. Phuck the fogs, go HID's

I like biz77's suggestion here. The HTA is reasonably priced and you cannot beat the XO2. I have one, with 4300HID's. I never miss those useless foglights.

Been planning on throwing in some 12000k purple's, but I kinda wanted to keep the fogs and put 3000k jdm yellows in there. Thats also why I think Im going to wait on the fmic until the new low cost options, like itsme is developing, come out that preserve the fogs.

Soooo GTTuner, whats the status on that hybrid vf40? May still be interested, kinda want at least a little more punch to hold me over for the winter with stock fueling and a good protune.

For monitary reasons I'll be hanging in there with the hybrid at least for the winter. The FP68HTA has a special turbine wheel designed in 2006 that flows about 47 lb per minute. More than most 20g's do. Most Mitsu wheels are dated back to the 90's in terms of design. Visit FP's website and it'll explain it better. That is a really nice turbo, no lag and a 340whp potential. Nice buy for 850.00. WRX fitment though.

Just a thought; Maybe you could score a TDO4 from a WRX cheap to hold you over until you pull the trigger on what you want? Bolts right in except no LGT type IC flange.

OR, you could get one of those e-bay cheapo turbos for the LGT to hold you over. I see some for 3 or 4 hundred bucks all over e-bay....brand new!

Unless you want bling, don't go with any HID's over 5000K. The higher the Kelvin rating the LESS actual light output. 4500's are the way to go, just my 2 cents.

Good luck. I'll do some searching for a good, cheap turbo for you later today. I have a WRX TDO4L that needs a rebuild, you can have it for shipping costs. Maybe Blouch can do something with it???????

Never said it couldnt be done, just would be pretty pointless/inefficient. But not trying to nitpick :p, comments appreciated

------No offense taken my friend. :)

Well, it turns out theres a good chance I'll be picking up my 740cc dw's pretty soon (knock on wood), so i just brewed up an idea browsing around the boards. Would it be possible to run a vf52 with just the dw 740's for now and the stock pump and get a decent tune? I know I said I was going to be responsible and just go for a stock vf40 to hold over until itsme's fmic kit comes out and I can go to the hta68 and finish the build, but what can I say, the extra punch might be nice:rolleyes:. If the 52's can be found for around $300-$400 used, and a fairly decent condition/milage (>35k miles) stock vf40 is around 250 + shipping, for the extra hundred bones or so a bigger turbo would be niceR to hold me over:). What do you guys think? Would it be ok to run with a tbe, 740cc dw's, stock pump, and possibly a typhoon (if not, an avo/perrin/k&n panel filter for now), on a good dynotune?

In the same respect as the last post, but kinda flipped lol, would it be ok to run the vf46 with the 740cc dw's and the stock pump and the rest of the supporting mods I listed a second ago ^ with a tune? Thinking a panel would be more than enough as far as air flow goes for that, until I bump to a full intake when I do the whole build a couple months or so from now. Just another possibility that popped up. And do all the vf46's go for around the price in the link to that ebay listing? Assuming thats brand new (not really what I need right now as a temp for a few months). But thanks for the referral GTTuner, definitly considering the 46 now.

NOTE: my last post is of some pretty good concern too, but this one made a new page. So just in case if you guys didnt see it, its back on <---- p.2.

sorry for the flood:redface:

Well, it turns out theres a good chance I'll be picking up my 740cc dw's pretty soon (knock on wood), so i just brewed up an idea browsing around the boards. Would it be possible to run a vf52 with just the dw 740's for now and the stock pump and get a decent tune? I know I said I was going to be responsible and just go for a stock vf40 to hold over until itsme's fmic kit comes out and I can go to the hta68 and finish the build, but what can I say, the extra punch might be nice:rolleyes:. If the 52's can be found for around $300-$400 used, and a fairly decent condition/milage (>35k miles) stock vf40 is around 250 + shipping, for the extra hundred bones or so a bigger turbo would be niceR to hold me over:). What do you guys think? Would it be ok to run with a tbe, 740cc dw's, stock pump, and possibly a typhoon (if not, an avo/perrin/k&n panel filter for now), on a good dynotune?

You would be hard pressed to find a used VF52 at all and finding one for less than $600 is wishful thinking. Otherwise, your idea about the injectors on the stock pump will work, but you will not really gain any headroom because of the pump limitation. Also keep in mind that the injector replacement alone will require a re-tune. If you are tuning yourself this could be good experience at dialing in aftermarket injectors. If you are paying someone to tune, it sounds like a waste of money to have a job done twice;)

The injectors you found are a killer deal and almost new. Almost bought them myself, but I think they will eventually be too small for what I want. Put them in a box in a safe place until you have the turbo and fuel pump to be installed with them.

You would be hard pressed to find a used VF52 at all and finding one for less than $600 is wishful thinking. Otherwise, your idea about the injectors on the stock pump will work, but you will not really gain any headroom because of the pump limitation. Also keep in mind that the injector replacement alone will require a re-tune. If you are tuning yourself this could be good experience at dialing in aftermarket injectors. If you are paying someone to tune, it sounds like a waste of money to have a job done twice;)

The injectors you found are a killer deal and almost new. Almost bought them myself, but I think they will eventually be too small for what I want. Put them in a box in a safe place until you have the turbo and fuel pump to be installed with them.

yeeea had a feeling going the vf52 route was a little too optimistic, especially for just a hold over for now but why not ask anyways:rolleyes:. Didnt know they were that much dough though, $600 used for a stock wrx vf52 even with maybe 30k or so miles? Its all good though, gotta keep my feet grounded with this anxiousness leading up to the main build:). But what do you think about the second route with the vf46 and the rest of the mods I listed in the last post? Got a good guy working with me over at a legendary dyno/performance shop that my uncles close friends with ands done plenty of work on his cars, hoping he'll go a little easy if I'm coming back in 2 months or so. But all in all, like you said, dont need to be wasting money on tune after tune just to hold me over for a little bit.

well this thread definitely took a turn towards death for the past 2 days... gotta revive and update:p.

Ending up going with a newer vf46, 740cc dw's, stock pump (for now), tgv deletes, staying with the vf46's own restrictor pill (not putting the vf40 pill back in there), turbo xs catless flex up pipe, perrin single highflow cat down, stock mid + Y (for now) w/fredbeans 3" to2.5" adapter, perrin cans, and obviously a full protune.

My only question now, is with this setup should I keep the stock airbox and just pickup a k&n or perrin or avo panel, or just go strait to the full CAI now since I'll need it with the hta68 in a few months?

Duly noted. I'll just keep them in the box for now then. Sort of tried to sneek in a couple mods I'll be needing for down the road a month or 2, i.e. the 740 dw's and the tgv deletes. But do you think the deletes would be necessary for the hta68 when I drop it in? I was thinking so, since from what Ive read they're a smart choice at 300whp+. Would they be a problem being installed early with this round of parts? Or wait on installing those until later on as well?

• 8 months later...

Archived