LegacyGT.com

MR Coilovers vs. Koni/Swift Combo?

dombek2k7

Ok i have taken the hint and spent several hours reading alot of the posts here about suspension setups and differences and so on. i like the price point of the MR coils with what they come with ie. camber plates, adjustability and pillow ball mounts. On the other hand i do like the stance of the swift with koni adjustables, the question i have is whomever has some expierience with either please chime in...in me eyes if i can get coilovers for similar money to a strut/spring combo it almost seems stupid not to...

Thanks

Shawn

ok i do understand searching! i did however i could not find what i was looking for so i asked a question hence a forum... the people who love to say search are the ones that were new to forums at one point in time and were told to do the same thing so they love to push that theory on everyone that they can so they fell better about what they were told. however if you do not have anything to contribute helpfull to the topic you really dont have to reply at all??? dont get me wrong im not mad i am just tired of people saying things on these threads are are not helpfull to the point at hand, so thank you top those who made suggestions and or comments that were helpfull. now about the BC's they look solid but then again so did the megans... now whatever the case my main question was $1,000.00 coilovers versus $1,000.00 spring strut combo... for a 99.9% street aplication i was looking to find out which was a better buy? the coilovers were fully adjustable with camber adjustments, and the spring/strut combo is just a solid setup with a nice subtle drop with a good rake. i was looking for people whom had or have expierience with this setup that can not tell me what to get...but point me in the right direction or give there thoughts on the setup.

thank you

Shawn

If was going to do coil overs I would either go with the RCE coil overs or if you have alot of money AST. Both of these companies have great reputation for making great coil overs downside is both options are pretty expensive.

Currently I'm running Konis with stock springs. I ran around town for a week with 320lb/in front springs from RCE. These springs are made for STi. I tried the rear springs but it dropped the rear end too much. The Konis handled the extra rate no problem and around town there was little noticable NVH from the increased spring rate. One thing was clear, the front end and tires didn't roll under sprited cornering. The higher spring rate with a 1/2 inch drop kept the front suspension off the rubber bump too. I went looking for a match pair of springs with a front rate in the 300 lbs/in range. iONs sport spec is rated at 233 lbs/in for the first inch of compression and 325lb/in for the second inch of compression, rear HD springs have a linear rate and are rated at 395lbs/in.

Underdog ran Koni/Swifts for awhile and eventually switched them out for RCE coilovers. If you read through his posts he had a hard time tuning some of the ride harshness out. The stock rubber bump is pretty long and it takes a little less than 1 1/2 inches of suspension travel before you hit the bump. The drop on the Swifts pretty much puts the suspension on the bump so now when the suspension travels it runs into the bump and starts increasing the spring rate quickly making it hard to tune and resulting in some harshness. I PMed Underdog and he confirmed he used the stock rubber bump. You will also want to buy the Whiteline roll center correction kit to eliminate bump steer. You may want to have a shop install at least the ball joints in the knuckle as it seems most folks have to battle with the ball joint to get it out.

OK so what's the point. Swifts/Konis work but IMHO it drops the car too much and it will be hard to tune it just "right". The alternative is iONs or pinks on Konis. You could also go with Ralliteks too. I like the iON option because its in the spring rate range I'm looking for and the rear rate is close to what I calculated to keep the car level over bumps. I have spoke with Jack at iON and they have spent a fair amount of time engineering these springs for the car and he uses them in his daily driver. Also I haven't found anyone complain of bump steer so the roll center correction kit doesn't seem to be needed.

Bottom line getting ride of the stock struts and springs will go a long way to helping your car ride and handle better. It clear Subaru tuned the LGT so understeer and ride pretty soft, I wish they would have tuned it like the 09 WRX, stiffer springs and sway bars from the factory!!

ok i do understand searching! i did however i could not find what i was looking for so i asked a question hence a forum... the people who love to say search are the ones that were new to forums at one point in time and were told to do the same thing so they love to push that theory on everyone that they can so they fell better about what they were told. however if you do not have anything to contribute helpfull to the topic you really dont have to reply at all??? dont get me wrong im not mad i am just tired of people saying things on these threads are are not helpfull to the point at hand, so thank you top those who made suggestions and or comments that were helpfull.

I have posted responses to this exact question in numerous other threads. :cool: I was saying to search, not because I am new and unhelpful, but because I am tired of posting the same lengthy write up. Maybe learn to search a little more thoroughly and you will find the info. :confused: People have been asking the same question as you for 4+ years now on this forum. Not trying to be a dick, just trying to save the poor server from overloading. :rolleyes:

So, since you are still asking and not searching, for the $1000-1200.00 price range you should be looking at BC and Stance for coilovers and for $900-1000.00 you should be looking at Koni/Tokico/Bilstein with your choice of spring (not pinks as they will push the price higher). This is just my opinion. Much like an a$$hole we all have them. :)

nor was i trying to be a dick... but i have searched i am not trying to buck the system but after countless attempts using different key word searches i could not find what i was looking for thats why i posted a thread. thanks for the tips on the pinks wasnt going with those anyway they didnt really interest me... i just wanted some reviews from those who have tried both setups why they chose what they currently have if they had a chance to do it again what they would go with...

i do thank all whom have helped

... now whatever the case my main question was $1,000.00 coilovers versus $1,000.00 spring strut combo... for a 99.9% street aplication i was looking to find out which was a better buy? the coilovers were fully adjustable with camber adjustments, and the spring/strut combo is just a solid setup with a nice subtle drop with a good rake. i was looking for people whom had or have expierience with this setup that can not tell me what to get...but point me in the right direction or give there thoughts on the setup.

thank you

Shawn

I'll try to help you out. I've had the JDM Rev A struts w/STI pinks and currently MR coilovers.

I'm not sure what you do w/the car but I enjoy doing track events with mine so most of what i'll be telling you will be based on 'tracking/autoxing' my car:

The Billy/Pinks combo was ok, but man the car would have alot of dive, pitch and roll (this is with cusco sways). Street ride quality was ok, but I was definitely not happy w/the performance given the hassle it was to find and purchase JDM rev A struts in early 06 timeframe. I sold that set and bought MR (this was before BC was the name they are now). I've had the MRs since spring 07 and went thru Ohio winters as well as 2 seasons of autox (managed a 1st in STU with them in the MVSCC region for 07), and 15 or so trackdays on tracks such as Mid-Ohio, Streets of Willow, Buttonwillow etc, and have NEVER had any of the problems that people speak of -- maybe im lucky i dunno. Only gripe I have was they're not as smooth a DD setup as the billy/pinks combo, but to be honest I doesn't really bother me. Plus the bump in performance over the bills/pinks setup was leaps and bounds IMHO.

With that said, I'll will buy me some RCE T1s next with 500/500 springs. The valving is supposed to be better which gives the closest to 'best of both worlds' type performance-- great handling with comfortable driving characteristics.

Hope that was helpful.

Cheers.

Archived