LegacyGT.com

Our keys are chipped, yes?

The 06 2.5i's are chipped also. 05's are not.

Could someone find out the price of that jdm key in Australia, I have someone there that can get one for me to try ;)

When I picked up my new car, the dealer told me it would cost around AUS$380 to have a key replaced!

(That's around US$266)

Presumably this covers the reprogramming cost also.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All I know is that after I had my ECU replaced my spare keys wouldn't work. I had to take them to the dealership to get reflashed. I didn't try holding the one that worked near the ignition though. I should have done that just out of curiosity.

I had my ECU re-flashed and I didn't even try the spare key yet but from what I'm assuming is that each ECU has a unique code associated with it. So I assume while they replaced your ECU they re-flashed the key they had. Otherwise they couldn't give you back your car and said it was working.

When I picked up my new car, the dealer told me it would cost around AUS$380 to have a key replaced!

(That's around US$266)

Presumably this covers the reprogramming cost also.

WOW! Thanks man. I tried to get my sister in Sydney to send me the clear hood protector but apparently you guys have a length restriction on the packages you can send through the Ozzy mail. You can't mail something the length of a golf club :( A set of keys like this is doable so i'll think about :)

• 1 month later...

well I wreaked havoc with some heavy duty garden shears on my LGT key.

The rubber casing is very strong but beneath it lies the flat metal key, with a small square indent near the bottom of the head of the key, which houses the chip

the chip is small, about the size of a ladybug.

I can post pics next week, but am working on a chipped LGT sti key. I will have to first detach the blue plastic from the rest of the sti key, carefully drill/saw/etch a hole big enough to hold the chip, and reseal

details to come...

Yep chipped and all with Auto Imobilizer built in. Other manufacturers are beginning to do away with the key altogether. Just have the fob in your pocket and your car knows who you are and lets you in. Push or turn the start button, away you go. I like this idea. Must be a culture change when you don't " get a new set of keys" with your new car, but just these fob things.

For your car audio/video needs:D

Audio Crafters IS it.

In Pasadena Ca. Arthur rules.

www.audio-crafters.com

You know, I was looking at the Audi / VW keys and I wonder . . . Is there anyone out there with enough experience in electronics that could take one of those Audi keys and replace the microchips (including the immobilizer) inside with the Subaru remote microchip? ie. So when you press the Panic button the Audi key, it'll turn on the alarm on your car; when you press the Unlock . . . etc etc etc. Of course, i'd replace the AUDI / VW Logo with a Subaru one. I just think that the flip / switch key would be pretty convient. I really don't like how much space our keys take up.

=p

yeah when you buy your car on the key ring there are two little metal tabs. one has the key code and the other is the transponder (chipped) code. if it says sec. id then thats the TRANSPONDER code. personally i dont like the vws keys they are way too big and heavy. but their def. not as bad as jags.

You know, I was looking at the Audi / VW keys and I wonder . . . Is there anyone out there with enough experience in electronics that could take one of those Audi keys and replace the microchips (including the immobilizer) inside with the Subaru remote microchip? ie. So when you press the Panic button the Audi key, it'll turn on the alarm on your car; when you press the Unlock . . . etc etc etc. Of course, i'd replace the AUDI / VW Logo with a Subaru one. I just think that the flip / switch key would be pretty convient. I really don't like how much space our keys take up.

=p

The blade is lazer cut, won't work.

Why do they always get the cool shit ...

maybe to them our keys look good :lol:

oh and in canada, i got quoted for keys.. at 120 CAD for chipped key, 100 CAD for the fob and like 90 for a valet key... oh and plus shippin (about 50 bucks) to send em (to california i think)

Archived