LegacyGT.com

Injectors - What the heck - baffling myself here

LittleBlueGT

That's very strange, as the fuel pump has to be running before you try and start the car. You can actually hear the pump if you listen closely.

I know. I can hear it run for about 1/2 a sec. Then nothing. The logger of course can't seem to capture it. Either way it doesn't pressurize enough.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

guys using littleblue's drawings, I need to hook up a fuel pressure guage to see what the heck mine is doing. I know we dont have a schrader valve so where is the best place to hook up to check this?

I have been having a bit of a start up issue, and during my tune I am hitting 100% duty cycle on the 850 injectors at peak.

Sounds like a somewhat similar issue with ben. Mine also started having issues it seems right after the turbo and injector install.

Running the AVO pump

I remembered:

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg194/littlebluegt/FPgauge.jpg

The two lines circles in red have normal style connections. Just get the right sized fuel hose, take one off, insert gauge in-line, and reconnect the line to new gauge.

When you are done, put it back to normal.

Any tips for not getting drenched in fuel when you do that?

I'm tired of explaining the stench. :)

Once the fuel pump fuse is pulled, rev the engine to 3000 rpm when you start it to get most of the fuel out once it stalls.

I tried tuning tip-in (since I assumed it was massively off), but it proved impossible.

I then figured I would put stock injectors back in and figure out what the hell was going on.

I swapped (back to OEM) injector #2, then #4, then #1, and then on injector #3 I noticed that the 650 cc injector had a cut in the small O-ring! Of course it had to be on the last injector, but I am I ever glad. Seeing as I figure the problems are now solved I swapped all of the 650s back in.

Car should hold fuel pressure now, and the weird tip-in problems have disappeared.

Finally!

Good to hear! Can you confirm how long the pressure is held now? (you got fuel pressure gauge, right?)

No gauge. I just tested it at the FPR assembly with a handheld gauge to 20 psi.

From my findings about the PZEV (injectors that seal better, and thus hold pressure longer for less emissions) and a few other bits of insight from local speed shop mechanic it likely won't hold fuel pressure over-night. That is why the fuel pump runs for a couple of secs on gauge sweep.

Does your car start right up after it was left over-night? If so I wouldn't worry.

Yeah, it does, although the pressure is zero. I guess the idea is that if the system is tight and leak free then building pressure up is really quick.

• 2 weeks later...
I tried tuning tip-in (since I assumed it was massively off), but it proved impossible.

I then figured I would put stock injectors back in and figure out what the hell was going on.

I swapped (back to OEM) injector #2, then #4, then #1, and then on injector #3 I noticed that the 650 cc injector had a cut in the small O-ring! Of course it had to be on the last injector, but I am I ever glad. Seeing as I figure the problems are now solved I swapped all of the 650s back in.

Car should hold fuel pressure now, and the weird tip-in problems have disappeared.

Finally!

I spoke (wrote) too soon. After solving the O-ring problem, the car still had a few weird drive-ability problems, nothing huge, but it seemed impossible to tune out. Also, the fuel system didn't hold pressure that well over an extended period of time.

I put the stock injectors back in, and everything is 100%. Car will start instantly after not running for 24 hrs. It would not that with the 650s.

I talked to Mike at DW, I am sending the injectors back in for testing. It is funny how both sets of OEM injectors worked fine, the 850s (cept for high rpm leaning out, that I believe is due to fuel rail resonance) worked fine, and now of course the OEMs back in work fine, but the 650s sucked!

Maybe I will have 750s in soon, sheeesh!:spin:

You are starting to get me spooked a little bit.

I put DW 850's in my car just before going to Plano for my tune.

That is when I started having a bit of an issue with initial startup

I am getting fuel pressure guage today though to check it.

Also the IDC on the E85 was right at 100. We shall see....

• 10 months later...

I know this is almost a year old thread but Ben was there any update to your problem and a fix?

What happened when you had DW test your injectors?

I am still having my problem (almost a year later) just havent taken the time to check the fuel pressure.

I will be doing it soon though as we are getting closer to winter and I want to resolve the startup problems I periodically have.

Did you put a new OEM Fuel pressure regulator on yours?

I was thinking to change to the STI or the newer 07 more simple style if I could without a lot of changing.

740s work just fine, no weird dip.

After my 850 install and removal my OEM FPR died, a new one in and all was well.

Some side-feed cars have problems with the 850s, IDK why, but I have some theories.

At any rate, anybody that I tune now that needs bigger then 750s, I tell them this:

-just get ID1000s and top-feed conversions (if required), not much more money, better idle, easy to tune, no weird lean spots, and lots of room for anythings anybody I know is ever going to run (no 40Rs up here)

Archived