LegacyGT.com

ej20 swap into 99 L

vanman281

Having not done much research on the ej20 swap from the ej22, as far i've seen the ej20 will drop in if you have engine and tranny mounts? I've been interested in building up my ej22 and keeping it n/a or swapping in a wrx motor and tranny. Has anybody done so under a cost of 2500? My budget would be around there maybe a little more. And I wouldn't do the swap myself i'd probably have a shop do it.

Depending on the amount of modifications you're going to do to the swapped engine, you should wait until you have at least $5000 to burn. A swap could be done for $2500, but it would literally just be a pull and drop. You'll want to do a lot more than just that, trust me. :) Also, depending on the ECU, you'll be gonig from OBDII to OBDI which many people frown upon. So, make sure your state won't freak out and fail your car's inspection/emmissions for that.
My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

• 2 weeks later...
eekay, you're probably right. my budget has gone up to around 3500. My engine is going through soo much oil, burning and the car is powerless going up hills. I have driven many wrx wagons and sedans. Those cars stock have the capability to climb a pass at 120, and that's the power i'm looking for. Saying that, Did you swap your engine? I have a fiend who knows subaru mech who may be able to swap in their off time. I'm hoping for under a g. were you able to use the stock clutch? i will need a new one and am wondering if i can use stock or if i will need another one.

If your not looking for lots of power, you can always find a decent EJ25 and leave that N/A. It has the power to climb hills pretty damn well also. However, if you're looking to do something with boost, I would recommend an EJ257 as the there are far less limitations as far as modifications go.

I haven't done my swap(s) yet as I'm still in the process of stripping my blown motor parts over to my other EJ25 and prepping for the winter. I probably won't start my swap until later this winter as I want to make sure all parts and people involved are ready so we can get it done in the smallest amount of time possible. Not to mention the thought and prep time for the swap. We wanna do it right. ;)

And yes, you should be able to use a stock clutch/flywheel if you're not planning on pushing any more than 300-350 HP (220-260-ish to the wheels.) The stock clutch can put up with a rather decent amount of HP.

that's true tha n/a 25's put out dec. power. especiallly the 05 and up motors. I would like to have the pull of the turbo, after all maybe a 2.5 na is the best choice, i can always upgrade pulley's intake exhaust. My clutch is going out so i would probably get an oem unless i cant find one a nicer one near the oem cost.

Sure. The 2.5's are real nice. '05 and up are turbos though so the choice is always there. And pulleys, intake, exhaust, cams, etc.. are simple modifications that do help quite a bit. Not to mention you can still boost them in the long run if you'd like (as long as you keep them under 7-8 psi.)

There are quite a few clutches that are a stage up from OEM which cost roughly the same. However, if you plan on using this car a daily driver, I would stick with something OEM as slipping higher stage clutches will wear them out MUCH faster than a stocker.

Archived