LegacyGT.com

Bought A Kart

robinlsb

Hey Robin, don't let lawyer boy and the old man (sounds like a 1980's CBS cop/PI :lol:) show get to you.

Hey lawyer boy and the old man...guess what? Give up? Guess who is going to let who drive what? That's right! Robin, me and the kart! So :p:icon_chee.

Enjoy it, but get ready for a bumpy, fast ride! And hold on to your dentures!

Oh wait. That's bosco. :lol:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I run a 125cc shifter in the F125 class at SCCA events in the Michigan area. The F125 guys are a good group and they all help each other out. If you are looking for more info www.ekartingnews.com has forums and a specific autocross one that a lot of the guys frequent that may help. There are some others as well but that is a good place to start if you weren't aware of it already.

I can count on one hand the # of times I had a kart in a 4 wheel drift (and I remember every single time happily). The tires and kart technology aren't generally set up for that kind of driving nowadayws, but good luck with it. You'll probably be scrubbing speed.

Shows to go you how old I am. I am sure I can adapt to not drifting, but I as I remember drifting Karts, or for that matter F2 or F3 machines was where it was, ummmmmmm, 39 years ago, and it was a lot of fun.:lol: (particulary at speeds above 100 mph, that was exhilarating!;)

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Enjoy it, but get ready for a bumpy, fast ride! And hold on to your dentures!

Oh wait. That's bosco. :lol:

I am not from Maine or England. I still have all my teeth;):lol:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Hey Robin, don't let lawyer boy and the old man (sounds like a 1980's CBS cop/PI :lol:) show get to you.

Hey lawyer boy and the old man...guess what? Give up? Guess who is going to let who drive what? That's right! Robin, me and the kart! So :p:icon_chee.

You got it kiddo!!!!! I am just not the kind of person who, when they get into their sixties, on a sunday, will say: "I wonder what is on the Golf channel this afternoon?"

But then there are not too many oldsters who have modified their LGT with Stage 2 bits, Perrin TMIC, sways, God knows how many suspension bits, Coil overs, BBS (RGR 17X7.5) wheels, GY F1GSD3's, blah, blah:lol:

And all of that to get to the senior center.....Quickly:lol::lol:

Once a gear head, always a gear head:eek:

Does driving a bobcat or a farmers tractor count? :p

40 years ago I was driving either the Allis Chalmers or the Ford tractor during haying season:lol::lol::lol::lol:

As for Bobcats, I don't like em'. Too tippy;)

Have fun, Robin! Watch those ancient ribs! R-i-b V-e-s-t!

I chew on steak bones a lot. Calcium.:lol:

And I already have one sponsor (my local Subaru shop) and am lining up another who is the local 2 cycle nut.

In the North East, most people have no idea about kart racing. But they are impressed with a real race "car":lol:

In the mean time, I have until spring to get smart on new style Karts. It's a Margay chasis, and it has 2 H.L.E. blue printed motors, one sans piston, but the lower end looks ok. Head has scars from a blown ring.

Also has 5 gear sets!

I guess I will have to get into shape for the spring and lose 20 lbs:eek:

wow thats one hell of a kart to start on, good luck. btw some racing videos of you would be cool. :)

question: we had a dozen 2 cycle pieces of equipment at work [weed wackers, contractors saw, chain saws, etc.] and some took a different ratio i.e. 25 to 1, 40 to 1, etc.. the equipment was used by our part time summer help so it got used very hard as hard as any kart engine. after a couple of engine failures caused by a improper mix i went with Opti 2 a synthetic oil that does not require any ratio mixing, one tube per gallon of gas, done. i used it for over 10 years with no engine failures of any kind and it doesn't smoke or foul plugs. i still use it at home and now my friends do also.

i guess my question is why doesn't the kart community use it? the stuff works and there is no guessing if you have the ratio correct.

http://www.opti2-4.com/html/opti-2.html

Stay Stock Stay Happy

wow thats one hell of a kart to start on, good luck. btw some racing videos of you would be cool. :)

question: we had a dozen 2 cycle pieces of equipment at work [weed wackers, contractors saw, chain saws, etc.] and some took a different ratio i.e. 25 to 1, 40 to 1, etc.. the equipment was used by our part time summer help so it got used very hard as hard as any kart engine. after a couple of engine failures caused by a improper mix i went with Opti 2 a synthetic oil that does not require any ratio mixing, one tube per gallon of gas, done. i used it for over 10 years with no engine failures of any kind and it doesn't smoke or foul plugs. i still use it at home and now my friends do also.

i guess my question is why doesn't the kart community use it? the stuff works and there is no guessing if you have the ratio correct.

WHAAAAAAAA:lol: You think the Karting community is any different than the LGT community????

Everyone has their favorite. My experience with chain saws and other 2 cycle home motors has been put enough oil in the gas to discourage the mosquitoes without causing fouling of the spark plug:lol::lol:

WHAAAAAAAA:lol: You think the Karting community is any different than the LGT community????

Everyone has their favorite. My experience with chain saws and other 2 cycle home motors has been put enough oil in the gas to discourage the mosquitoes without causing fouling of the spark plug:lol::lol:

great answer to the question :rolleyes:

anyone else?

Stay Stock Stay Happy

I never had an engine failure while racing, but failures weren't generally caused by choice of oil. On karts that I raced, we could adjust low and high speed air fuel ratios during the race with adjustable needles on the carb. Hit the straight, lean out the mixture and get a little more accleration but you might get detonation and blow your motor hoping to get a few extra hundred revs when you're already running 16,000 rpm. I generally left the mixture alone once I found a good setting. I'd rather run rich and lose a few revs than spend $500 on an engine rebuild every third race. My motors generally lasted 6-7 races and I was generally in the top 3-5 positions for a 15 kart race.

I never had an engine failure while racing, but failures weren't generally caused by choice of oil. On karts that I raced, we could adjust low and high speed air fuel ratios during the race with adjustable needles on the carb. Hit the straight, lean out the mixture and get a little more accleration but you might get detonation and blow your motor hoping to get a few extra hundred revs when you're already running 16,000 rpm. I generally left the mixture alone once I found a good setting. I'd rather run rich and lose a few revs than spend $500 on an engine rebuild every third race. My motors generally lasted 6-7 races and I was generally in the top 3-5 positions for a 15 kart race.

Yup. In the alchohol enduro I raced (again , I date myself) you could adjust the carb I.E; lean it out) Back then, you had a belt with an anolog head temp gauge.

And good for you! If you can't Finish, you can't win!!!!;) And one can only wonder, if you had cubic dollars, how well you would have done!

So if you finished 3-5, I wonder how well you would have done if money was no object??????:)

There were two brothers at my local track that were natural athletes just out of High School. They were the hotshoes. They could start at the back of a 20 kart pack and be in front within 5 laps on a 1/3 mile track. Amazing guys, and one of them was nice, too!

Nope. I'm not an athlete, I've got horrible depth perception (ok, probably better than yours! :lol:), and I had a survival instinct after seeing people hurt in flipping karts. So I didn't try crazy passes. But I had fun, never got into fights, and never yelled at anyone at the track. It was all good! :)

BTW, I heard from a old karting buddy yesterday and for lunch went to the kart track today and tried his 125 cc Rotax 2 speed shifter. Not quite a real shifter kart but I soiled my pants just fine anyway. I haven't been in a kart in 4 years, but that's the way to spend lunch! I forgot my driving boots so I did laps in my tassled loafers. And my curly helmet hair looks pretty good with a pin stripe suit. :lol:

There were two brothers at my local track that were natural athletes just out of High School. They were the hotshoes. They could start at the back of a 20 kart pack and be in front within 5 laps on a 1/3 mile track. Amazing guys, and one of them was nice, too!

Nope. I'm not an athlete, I've got horrible depth perception (ok, probably better than yours! :lol:), and I had a survival instinct after seeing people hurt in flipping karts. So I didn't try crazy passes. But I had fun, never got into fights, and never yelled at anyone at the track. It was all good! :)

BTW, I heard from a old karting buddy yesterday and for lunch went to the kart track today and tried his 125 cc Rotax 2 speed shifter. Not quite a real shifter kart but I soiled my pants just fine anyway. I haven't been in a kart in 4 years, but that's the way to spend lunch! I forgot my driving boots so I did laps in my tassled loafers. And my curly helmet hair looks pretty good with a pin stripe suit. :lol:

:lol::lol:tassled loafers:lol::lol:

I didn't know how yuppie you were.

But the main thing is that you had fun. Before I changed to a Bell Star helmet, and if I wasn't wearing a bandanna, people used to say it looked like I was laughing when I raced.

I was:lol::lol::lol:

The first thing to winning is having fun

And BTW, I, after 5 (:eek:) yeah 5 surgeries, can now see the first letter on the top of an eye chart( or at least enough to know it's an "E")

Oh yeah, left eye, right eye is still 20/5

:lol::lol:tassled loafers:lol::lol:

I didn't know how yuppie you were.

But the main thing is that you had fun. Before I changed to a Bell Star helmet, and if I wasn't wearing a bandanna, people used to say it looked like I was laughing when I raced.

I was:lol::lol::lol:

The first thing to winning is having fun

And BTW, I, after 5 (:eek:) yeah 5 surgeries, can now see the first letter on the top of an eye chart( or at least enough to know it's an "E")

Archived