LegacyGT.com

freeze plug?????

one bad bg

ok so heres the short story, trust me you dont wanna know the long version.

so last november i blew my motor, i had a shop replace the block. they bought the block from some company in texas. the company said they would warranty it for a year. woohoo. so 4 months later i see oil in my coolant. so i take it back to the shop. they said the company wont warranty it because its driver error, the freezer plug was warped. so i asked what a freeze plug is and the shop told me that its a led plug in the block thats set to melt at 250 degrees. as most of you know, normal opp temp is between 180 and 210. so the freeze plug is there to tell the company if the engine has overheated or not. mind you in that 4 months my temp never rose above normal. so now im stuck with an out of warranty block, with some freeze plug thats warped and is letting oil in my coolant but not coolant in my oil. wtf. so my question is, can this "freeze plug" be repaired.

Freeze plugs can be replaced. I had one corrode and fall out of my 6 cylinder Cherokee. I don't understand how a freeze plug failure could cause the coolant and oil to mix. The freeze plug has nothing to do with the oil passages. Are you sure they are describing a freeze plug failure? It makes no sense to me.
It is still ugly.

+1

I think that shop is full of s@#$! Take it somewhere else and have them diagnose the problem. If they can prove it isn't "driver error" (which also doesn't make sense if they're blaming the freeze plug) then you should still have a block under warranty.

My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

their claiming it driver error cause "i let the car overheat" which it never did, but thanx a bunch for the input i will take it to another shop cause ive nothing but problems with the shop that did the swap. the cel has been on since they did the swap and they said they cant fix it....thats a bunch of crap. and guess what, their not doing engine or block swaps anymore, i wonder why???

Sounds like head gasket failure if you ask me. Oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil usually signifies bad gaskets. Especially for a EJ25.

But yes. As for the warranty I would threaten to take them to small claims court. Sounds like they're a bunch of schemers.

but thats the weird thing, usually if you have oil in your coolant, ull haver coolant in your oil but my oil is clean

Sounds like head gasket failure if you ask me. Oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil usually signifies bad gaskets.

Not necessarily. There are even some cases of head gasket failure where no coolant is envolved. My buddies RS was simply leaking oil and it ended up being the head gaskets. Coolant and oil were fine.

That is not what a freeze plug is for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_plug

ok so for the sake of argument cause i know their gonna give me problems, lets just say my car did overheat, could the core plug have been damaged. because that link says its damaged by corrosion, not overheating. im just trying to cover all angles before i take a bunch of paperwork to this shop and theaten small claims. cause their trying to, like i said before, pin it on me that i let the car overheat.

^^ You don't need to argue with them or let them know your technical position. Just fax them the paperwork and tell them you will be filing it in the courthouse if they do not warranty it. And, tell them once it's filed, you are adding the filing fee to your claims.

It will be up to them to prove in court that the engine failure was due to you.

Crap, even if they claim it overheated, it's still their fault. They sold you an engine that overheated. :lol:

Oh, and by the way, the wiki says the freeze plugs are there to pop out if the engine gets too cold to keep the coolant from expanding and cracking the block. They are not there to melt in case of overheating. If they use that crap story in court, you can show how full of it they are.

ok so for the sake of argument cause i know their gonna give me problems, lets just say my car did overheat, could the core plug have been damaged. because that link says its damaged by corrosion, not overheating. im just trying to cover all angles before i take a bunch of paperwork to this shop and theaten small claims. cause their trying to, like i said before, pin it on me that i let the car overheat.

I don't think overheating will cause damage to a freeze plug. I also doubt it failed due to corrosion since you said it had only been 4 months since the block had been replaced. If a freeze plug is in any way involved with your issue, I think its failure would have to be attributed to improper installation or improper plug for the application.

I too think you have a head gasket failure.

I have never heard of anything in an engine DESIGNED to melt to show that an engine has overheated.

It is still ugly.

apparently this company in texas that i got the block from said they installed this "lead plug" that starts melting at 250* so they can tell if a block they sold has over heated. But none of you have heard of anything like this then i guess i'll file some paper work tomorrow.

Archived