LegacyGT.com

Full size spare, final word?

FrozenNorthLGT

So, I've browsed all the threads I can find on the use and fitment of a full size spare in our cars. The concensus seems to be, while its handy to have, it still doesnt solve the "problem" of different tire circumfrences posed by the stock spare. As we know the tires must be within 1/4" to prevent damage to the AWD system, And even having a full size spare, whether with a new, or worn tire, it will still be unlikely to match the other three in the even of damage to one.

My question is this: I want to have a full size spare, if for no other reason that to avoid having to drive on a donut, EVER. I use the stock wheels with snow tires in the winter, and aftermarket 17x7's in the summer, so no issues with having upgraded to 18's. I'm also not one of those people that will drive on a donut/spare for any longer than necessary, and wouldn't even if I had a full size one. So keeping the speeds low, and the distance to a minimum, is there any problem with, temporarily and in an emergency, using a full size spare that differs in size from the other three tires? Has anyone measured the circumference of the donut as compared with the stock tires to see if it is off by more than the 1/4"? I would assume if it does, then no more harm would come from a full size (yet different diameter tire) spare, than using the donut, as supplied and directed by the factory...

How close in diameter is the full-size spare to both sets of tires you have?
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

How close in diameter is the full-size spare to both sets of tires you have?

See, that's kinda the point of my question. If the donut is off by apparantly 2", then having a full size spare shouldn't matter how much it is off by (within reason). Im not talking about driving full speed, or for long distances. Follow the same rules as the regular spare. I just want to use a full size wheel/tire combo, as a spare, to avoid using the donut at all.

The donut spare is not going to blow up your car if you drive on it for a few miles. Neither will it blow up your car to have your tires 1/4" off from each other. Of course you want to minimize the difference, but do you think Subaru equip the car with a spare that would cause instant destruction of the drivetrain?

--Dan

Mach V

Archived