LegacyGT.com

Wrong Expectations or Bad Example of a Spec.B?

docsmitty

Well, anyone with a lead on a used LGT Manual or Spec.B in central NY state (12549) please let me know. Or if we have any members in the area that wouldn't mind giving me a quick demo of their car... :)

Maybe I'll post in the Cars for Sale forum with another WTB... not having much luck finding dealers in the area who have the car. I think the North East must be the hottest Subaru country.

This wouldn't happen to be @ Bill Kolb in Orangeburg, would it? I wondered about the shift knob, and the interior even looks beat up in their online shots.

I appreciate the feedback. Right now I'm hoping that it was just an abused example of a Spec.B, and if I can find another LGT or Spec.B, I'll give it another shot.

After comparing it to my gf's legacy, I noticed a few more things that make me suspect it was harshly abused (or possibly in an accident, not reported). The interior door handles (not the lever that opens the door) were loose and squeaked, the shift knob was missing (the salesman told me they remove it so kids don't steal it... when I asked him to get it for the test drive, he said "we'll have to order a new one"), there was a scratch on the air bag cover on the steering wheel, and there was a LOT more wind noise from the windows. Her car has 9xxx miles, the one I drove only had 3500. I really just hope it's a single bad car.. I really want to love an LGT and trade in.

This wouldn't happen to be @ Bill Kolb in Orangeburg, would it? I wondered about the shift knob, and the interior even looks beat up in their online shots.

Sure was :D I've heard horror stories about them, and my experience wasn't great, that's for sure.

It may have been abused and some of it may be normal. I suffered from buyers remorse after buying my spec.B. The car doesn't perform as well as I expected it too. It's sluggish in acceleration and the turbo lag is present. This is all based on a comparison to my previous vehicle. You're comparing it to a lighter and more nimble WRX so that's probably why you feel the way you do about it. I have thought on a daily basis about how different things would be if I had just bought the 2008 STI.... oh well. I'm stage 1 now and it helps, but I see stage 2 and suspension work in the future. The suspension on this thing is WWAYYY to soft.

Well, I just got back from driving a 2006 Spec.B with 15k miles. The car was much more like what I was expecting from a Spec.B. Probably more like a wrx drivetrain due to the 5 speed and lack of SI drive... not sure what I'll do. They want $3000 after my trade in of an 08 wrx, which feels steep.

Well, I just got back from driving a 2006 Spec.B with 15k miles. The car was much more like what I was expecting from a Spec.B. Probably more like a wrx drivetrain due to the 5 speed and lack of SI drive... not sure what I'll do. They want $3000 after my trade in of an 08 wrx, which feels steep.

Don't get caught up in the SI Drive thing. IMO it is nothing more than a gimmick...... unless you plan to drive in Intelligent (I) mode for some reason.

There are no power differences between Sport (S) and Sport Sharp (S#) other than throttle response. If your right foot works then you should be able to compensate between S and S#.

Personally, I have NEVER used SI Drive other than testing it out in the first few days of owning the car.

A buddy of mine has an 04 WRX and another an 08 WRX. I'd say keep the 08 WRX unless you absolutely need to trade. If you need to trade then you'll definitely need to throw some money at the LGT to get it up to snuff.

Stage I or II upgrades with accompanying susupension and brake work will make the LGT experience much much more pleasant.

Well I did pick up the 09 OBP LGT SpecB from Sommers on Friday night, got them down to 27,500 and 1,800 for my Integra trade. So far I am loving the car. Yea, power isnt that of my old WRX or the NSX, but it is quite the capable sedan. Wish it got the same gas mileage as the Integra I traded in, I was getting 32-34mpg, but it is a hell of a lot more fun of a daily driver. Thanks for the advice I picked up from many of the contributing members on this post.:)

Well I did pick up the 09 OBP LGT SpecB from Sommers on Friday night, got them down to 27,500 and 1,800 for my Integra trade. So far I am loving the car. Yea, power isnt that of my old WRX or the NSX, but it is quite the capable sedan. Wish it got the same gas mileage as the Integra I traded in, I was getting 32-34mpg, but it is a hell of a lot more fun of a daily driver. Thanks for the advice I picked up from many of the contributing members on this post.:)

Nice! Congrats :) I'm still looking, guess I'll just be visiting a lot more dealers in search of a good deal

I have an 05 Legacy GT. Stock it was down right slow. I played with a stock V6 Honda Accord and got stomped:eek:.

Now with Stage 2 and a custom tune I can pull a stock STI (04-05).

From the factory LGTs are drastically detuned. I can promise you after some bolt-ons and a tune that you would be more that satisfied with a spec b.

Moving to a GT, even a SpecB from a sports car with a precise handling is not an exciting experience.

I had a 350z before, and driving a stock 07 SpecB at first felt like driving at least a Buick, and very close to a boat. The body roll, dive, and slow steering response all felt unacceptable for a car with supposed "sport tuned" suspension.

Stripping weight and aftermarket suspension is the way to go.

Archived