LegacyGT.com

Valve Clearance on EJ25DE?

Let me begin by saying F' my life. Its valve clearance time and the dealer wants 470 to do the job. this includes stud gromets, shims, spark plug and valve cover gaskets, and my favorite part new valve covers. apparently subaru recomends changing them. has anyone else ever heard of the valve cover thing?

do you guys know where i can find a diy on this job? does any one know the part # for the tool to pull the shims or a tool that i can use in lue of?

thanks in advance

That's a pretty damn good price.... especially if that includes removal and install of the heads from the block

why would they have to remove the heads from the block to do valve clearance? not to mention i dont see how they would remove the heads from the block without removing the motor from the car. no, that price is for taking the valve covers off the heads, adjusting the valves, putting "new" valve covers back on, and bending me over for some wallet raping fun. to me the new valve cover part is just so they can make more money. i should also add that this quote is from Mastro subaru down in Tampa which from what i hear is supposed to be the best in FL.

(My b if i come off as pissy, i dont like the fact that it seems that i cant do this job myself)

Then do it yourself!!!!

Heads can be removed without pulling the engine. It could take the tech a whole day to do that work. Part of that price includes the new valve covers, if you don't want to pay for them, tell them to re-use the old ones.

It still seems to be a fair price. If you don't like it, stop whining to the internetz and get a quote from someone else.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Archived