LegacyGT.com

2007 2.5i - AC/Fan Issue

My AC was not blowing cold which led me to read some of the posts. I have check all of the fuses, good.

-How can I troubleshoot the main relay under the hood?

-Should the driver's side fan always be turning? I left the AC button off and cannot get it to go. It is about 55 F outside.

-Does anyone know how to troubleshoot the fans?

Thanks, I appreciate any feedback possible.

Well the initial issue was the AC, but when I read some past threads there are some people that have been linking the two issues. When the AC is switched on, there is no noticable additional drag placed on the system...something is not working, compressor, relay, ect.

The problem that I am more concerned about is that the fans do not seem to be coming on at all. My drive into work this morning was about 45 minutes (it was cool out) and when I arrived at work the fans were still not on. I also tried idling it in the garage last night and nothing came on.

Do you believe that the fan issue can be affected by the relay? I know that the recall was for MT cars '05 - '06...

Thanks custom_junky

Thanks

ok the fans coming on to cool the radiator and the fans coming on for the air conditioning are two TOTALLY different things...

the fan for the radiator will only come on if the coolant in the radiator is hot enough, this is gauge via a thermomiter in the radiator to judge the tempreature, once this level of heat is reached then the fan is turned on via a relay.

the fan for the airconditioner is controlled differently in that the fan is only used when the air conditioner compressor is working, when the compressor is working it will compress the freon within the system, this is then pushed around the system and through two different condinsers, one is in front of the vehicle (typically next to the radiator or in fron/behind it) and the other is inside of the vehicle (this is the one that cools the air). the condinser in front of the vehicle has a fan that turns on to pull the hot air from it, thus aiding in the cooling ability of the compressor. The compressor is activitated via a relay switch which activates a magnetic clutch on the a/c compressor thus being driven by the belt attached to the motor via crank pulley.

your problem on the a/c not working could be a few things:

1. the a/c relay is busted

2. the fuse(s) is busted

3. your fan relay for the condinser is busted

4. bad compressor

5. bad magnetic clutch on the compressor

6. no freon (which is probably not the case since the fan doesn't work at all, along with no drag on the motor)

7. more than one of the above wrong

you said you have an 07, is it still under warranty? if so take it to the dealership to get fixed since this would be the easiest and cheapest way to fix the problem.

• 5 years later...
ok the fans coming on to cool the radiator and the fans coming on for the air conditioning are two TOTALLY different things...

the fan for the radiator will only come on if the coolant in the radiator is hot enough, this is gauge via a thermomiter in the radiator to judge the tempreature, once this level of heat is reached then the fan is turned on via a relay.

the fan for the airconditioner is controlled differently in that the fan is only used when the air conditioner compressor is working, when the compressor is working it will compress the freon within the system, this is then pushed around the system and through two different condinsers, one is in front of the vehicle (typically next to the radiator or in fron/behind it) and the other is inside of the vehicle (this is the one that cools the air). the condinser in front of the vehicle has a fan that turns on to pull the hot air from it, thus aiding in the cooling ability of the compressor. The compressor is activitated via a relay switch which activates a magnetic clutch on the a/c compressor thus being driven by the belt attached to the motor via crank pulley.

your problem on the a/c not working could be a few things:

1. the a/c relay is busted

2. the fuse(s) is busted

3. your fan relay for the condinser is busted

4. bad compressor

5. bad magnetic clutch on the compressor

6. no freon (which is probably not the case since the fan doesn't work at all, along with no drag on the motor)

7. more than one of the above wrong

you said you have an 07, is it still under warranty? if so take it to the dealership to get fixed since this would be the easiest and cheapest way to fix the problem.

I work on these cars all of the time but for some reason i am not seeing where the relay is. 07 legacy 22.5i SE just not the electrical or a/c systems much

Archived