LegacyGT.com

2005 4AT Transmission Fluid Question

SolidFish

I was hoping to get some technical help on the following please. This is for a 2005 Legacy 2.5i 4AT.

I was doing some maintenance checkup on the Legacy and checked the fluid levels. There is a dipstick in the lower rear section of the bay (passenger side) and I'm almost 100% its the transmission fluid. It is reading a little low. I would like to top this off but not sure of the following:

1. Is this the transmission fluid? If not, what yellow dipstick is located in the rear of the bay (underneath the windshield wipers) right above the transmission gear box?

2. What fluid does the 4AT use?

3. How do I add more fluid (through the dipstick hole?)

Thanks!

1. Is this the transmission fluid? If not, what yellow dipstick is located in the rear of the bay (underneath the windshield wipers) right above the transmission gear box?

99% sure you're looking at the front differential fluid. Do NOT add any fluids until you confirm what you are looking at. If you have to reach down and the dipstick is rather short and yellow, then it's the differential fluid for sure. The ATF dipstick is on the other side (to your right as you are facing the car from the front) and should be loooong. It is also not yellow.

2. What fluid does the 4AT use?

You have two choices. OEM 4EAT ATF or OEM 5EAT ATF. The 5EAT ATF is supposebly better but if your car came with the 4EAT ATF stock, you'll have to do a flush to get the 5EAT ATF, not a drain, otherwise you'll end up mixing two fluids which is not always a good idea ...

3. How do I add more fluid (through the dipstick hole?)

Get a funnel with a long neck. WalMart has'em, as does just about any auto store.

Archived