LegacyGT.com

Engine surges - 05 OBW 2.5i

Its only happened to me twice, but it seems quite pronounced. In slow traffic, trying to drive smoothly, it starts behaving like a hot turbo, in that there seems very little power down low, then it comes in with a rush at 2k+, and I have to get off the throttle quickly. Car is fully warmed up at the time IIRC. IS it possible its related to fuel grade, self tuning or ??

Anybody else BTDT?

TIA,

jp

Since you speficially state it occurs when the engine is fully warmed, does it occur as well when the engine isn't warmed?

I suspect its just normal behavior of the 2.5 as none of subaru's H4's have any real real torque turbo or not below 2000-2500rpm's.

Dont recall it occurring when less than fully warmed...I have been on the road at least 20mins when it occurred last, and gauge is up to normal in less than 10 here. The 05 is fly-by-wire throttle, so I wonder if anything can go strange there....

jp

• 5 months later...

I dont know if its my imagination or not..... I have been trying to work out a systematic way to demonstrate this problem so I could take it to dealer and show them. At 12.5kkm service I listed it, but of course they said everything seemed fine to them. So the other day at 6k km since service, I dutifully added the "fuel conditioner" supplied at the service, and filled the tank up. Almost immediately (within 10kms) I start thinking , this is behaving much better now, smoother, more linear response....I can lug 5th down to 50kph and accelerate away fine - slow but not surgy. MMMMMMM. Sticky or lazy injector, or do I have TGV in a NA engine?

Do you USDM guys get told to add this stuff halfway between services? I believe its to do with preventing ash buildup in the head or somesuch.

My car was acting sorta the same, (MY03 Legacy Wagon NA) Barely any torque under 2k rpms, but once up there VaVooooMMM!

Carb Cleaner also fixed my issues, as did changing gas stations. However....

I still have some power loss at low RPM's so the carb cleaner didn't resolve it totaly.

Now I'm going to replace my fuel filter and get some new plugs / wires etc.. I'm due for maint / tune-up anyways.

Archived