LegacyGT.com

stealership woes

I just sold a 2006 garnett red 5mt gt limited to my friend yesterday, we bought the car for 14,200 and it sat here on the lot for 2 months needless to say they blew it out at 14,500. With your miles I I would say 12,500 is reasonable this car here had 44k and had spec b suspension spt front and rear strut towers and cobb front rear sways and was in damn good condition. I would press for 13k and do the deal then or just drive down here so you can get our 2009 wr blue gold bbs Sti, or the 2010 black w/bbs, or 2010 wr blue without bbs. The only difference in the year is the 2010's have red stiching on the seats. Good luck.

Ok. in reading back a little bit..$14400 is more than a dealer is going to give in real money. That would be clean black book or above after the mile deduction

Your LGT would be about $13k (for us). Many dealers wont want it so if they are going to trade for it, they will put $10k-ish in the car because they want to have the option to dump it at an auction and know they are not going to get killed on it. 70k on a 2007 will scare many dealers...and potential buyers...

I have my 2009 STI at $32500 (silver). Now like any dealer, I can inflate my sale price to show more trade in for yours (IE Sale price of $34000 -invoice is about $34100 - and a trade in allowance of $14500), but the bottom line still comes out the same.

bottom line is, most dealers will be hesitant to trade for a 2 yr old car with 70k + on it because it will be a harder retail for them and they want to be sure to protect themselves if they have to dump it at an auction. plus being at 76k, you are getting in/near the area that banks cut back on how much % of retail they will loan and how long the term of loan will be allowed so they think of that point of it as well.

You're never going to get good money on a trade-in no matter what. It's a trade-off and you have to figure out what route is best for you.

If you trade in, you'll have the convenience of basically walking in to the dealer with your old car, dumping it and picking up a new car. The downsize is the money part.

If you sell yourself, you will get more out of it but you have to put up with the hassle of selling a car in today's economy.

I recently had to go through this. We were trying to get rid of our ZX3 Focus and pick up a Mini Cooper. First of all the local market sucks, the one Mini at a dealer that was within our budget was an 07 base model that was going for 14K. They offered us 3500 trade-in for the Focus. It took us 6 weeks to sell the Focus but we got 6 grand on it. We turned around and found a Cooper S, just a year older, for 14K but we had to drive over 800 miles total to get it.

So the point is, if you want to make the best choice money-wise, you're going to have to work for it.

Trade value is not impossible to get. The big mistake people make is negotiating the price of the trade while or before negotiating the price of the new car. First you lock in the price of the new car. Then, once final, THEN you tell them you have a trade. Then you have leverage. Don't be afraid to walk if they stick you with a bad trade-in value quote. Make sure they have your phone #, and expect a call back from them. THEY WANT TO SELL THAT STi!!! or any new car for that matter.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

The big mistake people make is negotiating the price of the trade while or before negotiating the price of the new car.

There's no need to play the "oh yeah... I just happen to have a car I might want to trade..." game.

Just decide on the price differential between the new car and your trade that you're willing to accept; be politely firm and politely walk if the dealer can't or won't meet that differential.

If several dealers don't want to do business using that number, change it a couple hundred bucks and start over.

i actually did price the car first. 35,750 for a new 09 sti in swp with gold bbs wheels no nav

35,750, that's almost paying sticker for the STI. You should be able to get at least 4-5K off the sticker in this economy. People aren't buying cars like they used to. Go to several dealerships and get some other prices.

35,750, that's almost paying sticker for the STI. You should be able to get at least 4-5K off the sticker in this economy. People aren't buying cars like they used to. Go to several dealerships and get some other prices.

not quite..it is paying around invoice. He said it was for a BBS car. MSRP is likely $38k-ish

I have a copy of a 2010 STi BBS car invoice in front of me in fact.

MSRP $37927

Invoice $35688

It is unlikely to get $4k off of an STI since there isnt that much markup, even with holdback (about $3700 between net cost and MSRP on this one here).

The one I have (2009 STI in Spark Silver -base) has an MSRP of $36285 and a net cost of $32718. Priced at $32500 is pretty good considering the net cost (invoice is $34118).

Was that for a limited with navigation?

indeed it was. my stepdad is a ridiculous negoiator, after we were finishing up with the purchase the sales guy goes ,"I'll have to bring you along next time i'm looking for a car." i found that pretty funny coming from a car salesman

^^not to stir anything up, but I would like to see proof of this price.

I had them priced at $3k-4k back of NET cost not too long ago and I don't think they still under $21k sales price

Example of a Limited with Nav 3.0R:

$33089 MSRP

$30760 Invoice

$1276 holdback

$3000 dealer cash

NET COST $26484

Anything below that is a loss for the dealership. Not many dealers will take a $5k-6k loss on a new car.

Yeah it is all about timing to get the dealer cash or other incentives. I timed my trade just right when Subaru had that dealer cash promotion. Otherwise there would not have been any way for me to get the deal I wanted with trade. Plus I was NOT upside-down on the trade vehicle.

^ is it true you guys like to make deals the last day of the month / quarter?

I went to a Nissan dealership back in July that had a 07 LGT 5MT in stock there with 45k on the clock, they were selling it for 18,000 which i saw online, i go drive it, then im sitting down with the salesman going over numbers, first paper he brings out is a price of 21k! and then he asked what price i saw it i listed for so i said 18,000 he comes back from his managers office, made it seem like a great deal he was giving me the price that was listed for it (18,000) and then they go look at my car, the 09 with 21k on it, they tell me my car isnt very well kept and is a high mileage vehicle, i was like WTF you have alot of nerve to say something like that. they offered me 14,000 for my car, for the mileage on the car, edmunds and KBB valued it at 15,600 i told them 15,000 and i'll pick the car up later that night, he goes tells his manager, best offer his manager gives me is 14,500. I was like no thats still not 15,000. I tell them either give me 15,000 or sell me the car for 16,500 because its not worth 18,000 either. they laugh and say thats alot to go down on the price, then ask what if they gave me 14,750, Still not 15,000! for like 2-3 days following they still called me following up about the car, they didn't seem to get when i flipped on them in the dealership that i wasn't interested. Worst part is a week later i found the car listed for the price of 16,500 that I asked for a week early, which they were so reluctant to give me! when looking at the car on the lot, i noticed an aftermarket TBE, CAI, and TMIC (engine cover was trimmed) I told them that, they respond with "my manager said there was no aftermarket parts on the car" really? Legacy GT's come stock with a loud boxer rumble? then i told them the clutch was burning, you could smell it, they responded with "my manager moved the car back into the lot, he said the clutch wasnt burning" I used to work at a dealership, i know how it goes, I doubt the manager moved the car. such BS, sell your car privately if you can and buy it with straight cash from the dealership if you plan to go to one.

grayson i just emailed you a pic of the invoice i paid. maybe the dealership took a loss?? but they got that car off their lot in a straight cash payment. so i'd like to think that they worked with us just to get rid of the car

Archived