LegacyGT.com

hot air

joeyjojoe

i know how the climate control system works, but i've noticed that the vent air coming in is MUCH warmer than the outside air coming through the windows. i have the temp set to 65, and have tried with the system off and only the vent open, but the air feels like it's 80 even though the outside temp is in the 50s.

i also know the incoming air is collected near the engine so it gets warmer in lots of cars, but my accord was never this warm. you could maybe feel a 2 degree difference in the window air and vent air.

is everyone feeling this or is my turbo blowing into the cabin?

Yup, I agree the Leg sometimes blows too hot even with the temp all the way down. I saw a suggestion here a while back that seems to work - just put the ac on for a few seconds and then turn it back off and it seems to allow cooler air to flow. The brief blast of ac seems to "clear the pipes".

Yup, I agree the Leg sometimes blows too hot even with the temp all the way down. I saw a suggestion here a while back that seems to work - just put the ac on for a few seconds and then turn it back off and it seems to allow cooler air to flow. The brief blast of ac seems to "clear the pipes".

Yeap, that works for me, at least for a while. Often I leave the ac on even on normal to luke warm days.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an answer to this question.....

If you lift the hood, the air intake for the HVAC system is only visable with the hood up. So I guess it picks up a good amount of engine heat. I think theres a tiny space by the base of the driver's side wiper where it gets air from outside.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I have an answer to this question.....

If you lift the hood, the air intake for the HVAC system is only visable with the hood up. So I guess it picks up a good amount of engine heat. I think theres a tiny space by the base of the driver's side wiper where it gets air from outside.

Sounds like a bad design. Hope they fix this in future models.

actually i did what someone mentioned above and turned the AC on for 2 seconds ... and then the air is fine. im' wondering if there is a pressure or valving issue that the quick AC blast fixes. i'm not really bothered now that i know how to fix it.

actually i did what someone mentioned above and turned the AC on for 2 seconds ... and then the air is fine. im' wondering if there is a pressure or valving issue that the quick AC blast fixes. i'm not really bothered now that i know how to fix it.

OK, Subaru should then do a "BMW" and put in some smarts to auto-detect this issue and fix it automatically. :) This is for the vast majority of drivers who don't know the "fix" :eek: and leave their AC on all the time thinking it's a permanent issue, not realizing they just need to turn on the AC for 2 secs :rolleyes:

YAG: Stop blaming Subaru, which instead of going with a cheap mechanical system, installed an A/C monkey that automatically learns and adapts to your temperature inputs. To resolve the issue, stop feeding the A/C monkey till it gets it right and when it dies, just go to the dealer and have it replaced under warranty with a new A/C monkey that doesn't have an attitude like the old one.

P.S. YAG: Yet Another Gripe

I keed I keeed

I think it's a great design. This is the first car I've owned that the cowl area didn't have a grate that gathered pinestraw, leaves, and other debris that was impossible to remove.

Actually, today I was messing around with the A/C and as you said when you set to Vent Mode, it blows hot air, right from heater core, well here is how I got it to blow cold air from outside without the A/C being turned on. All you have todo is turn the temperature knobs of both to below 70, 65 is best, and then turn Off the system, then select Vent Mode, and then it should get air from the outside without heating it up, so it doesn't pass it by the heater core.

As mentioned before, the system has its quirks and all you gotta is learn em and get used to it.

Mojo

I keed I keeed

Yikes, another solution! I'll try it, thanks. Still think they better fix this in future models. Don't get this sort of problem in any other car I've used. Can be a small but significant blot on the car. But then again we rough Suby drivers can wear it, even if Subaru have (or had) ideas to compete with BMW and the like.

Actually, today I was messing around with the A/C and as you said when you set to Vent Mode, it blows hot air, right from heater core, well here is how I got it to blow cold air from outside without the A/C being turned on. All you have todo is turn the temperature knobs of both to below 70, 65 is best, and then turn Off the system, then select Vent Mode, and then it should get air from the outside without heating it up, so it doesn't pass it by the heater core.

As mentioned before, the system has its quirks and all you gotta is learn em and get used to it.

Mojo

^^Yup it pretty much remembers the last temp that it was set to, so if you shut it off with the temp at 75 it's gonna let warm air through....if you set it to 68 and shut it off you will notice the air coming through will be cooler......that's just my observation, I've never had problems with it blow'n hot air on me all the time....

Archived