LegacyGT.com

Maintenance

SUBARUCAN.

So what's the deal with maintenance and costs on Subaru's, in particular the naturally aspiriated H6/H4 models. Costs from Canada would also be helpful!;) I want to know since I plan on buying a new Subaru and want to get my facts straight! Thanks for the help!

Subaru maintenance costs are relatively low compared to other cars I've owned. An oil change at my dealer is $32 and I get a loaner, if necessary. A big killer, relatively speaking, is the annual changing of the cabin filter, which can go well over $100 with the part and installation. It's in a hard-to-reach place under the dash.

A lot of dealers, including my own, ignore the factory maintenance and insist on adding unnecessary inspections, filter changes, fuel additives, etc., to drive the price up. I let my dealer get away with it because it's still not a lot of money and they treat me well. Also, while the oil change interval on the NA model is 7,500 miles, the manual and the dealers say to change it at 3,750 if the car gets heavy use. Of course, the manual defines heavy use as just about everything other than letting the car sit in the driveway.

All of these tactics are, of course, designed to drive up dealer profit. If you're really tight on funds, it's best to look at the factory maintenance schedule, write down exactly what you want done and tell the dealer that you don't want anything beyond the recommended service in the manual. I finally had to do that with my old Mazda Tribute when the dealer costs started to really get out of hand (approaching the dealer maintenance charges for the Audi A6 that I owned at the time). I may have to do that at some point with my Subaru dealer if they start to get a little too greedy.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived