LegacyGT.com

Squeak (apparetly) from bell housing

teK--

I had the car up on a hoist today to further investigate a squeaking sound that is experienced when I feather the clutch, i.e. low speed manouvres such as in car pars. I innitially thought it was only at a certain point of clutch engagement and throttle position. Today we have narrowed it down to not being anything to do with how much clutch is engaged.

I can consistently reproduce the noise by having clutch pedal fully out but gear in neutral, then just stab the throttle quickly up to around 2500 and let the revs drop to around idle, then stab the throttle again. (The squeak happens for about 0.5 to 1.0seconds every time just as the revs rise).

From under the car it appears to be coming from the bell housing. Some local members advised that Subaru knows of a resonance issue with the exhaust flexijoint and suggested that I tighten the mounting nuts. We tightened the exhaust flexijoint bolts (2 of them) it made no difference so perhaps that solution is to address a different issue which I do not have.

Does this sound like some type of a clutch issue? It's not noticeable except for occasionally when creeping the car at low speeds such as in carparks or drive thrus etc, so it's not that much of a concern for me and I may just wait until the clutch is due for replacement unless there is a simple fix.

My mate who helped out today on the hoist said he drove an 01 Impreza for a short stint and it had the same problem.

I am keen to hear any suggestions thanks :)

Archived