LegacyGT.com

Will there be Satellite Radio in '06

conley_jb

I've been lurking around the forums for several months, debating on whether or not to get an '05 Legacy, or wait for the '06. I love the car; performcance, styling and everything is great. I am just disappointed in the current options list. My biggest complaint is you can't currently get XM or Sirrus Satellite Radio as an option, and I honestly don't want to have a Skyfi or stand alone reeceiver hanging from my dash.... has anyone heard if the 06 will incorperate this option. I have seen several threads that say the current radio has a sat. button, but there's no option as of yet? Would help me at least make up my mind a whole lot sooner if I knew.

To be quite honest, I haven't heard anything about it. The only rumors going around are basically revolving around the navigation system. You might as well wait a few more months just to see what options are going to be offered, since there's nothing really concrete right now.
-ben

Donot believe you'll see XM radio next year. Probably NAV as an expensive option and possibly a 6MT. Other than that... don't expect much change.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I don't understand what drives people to want to pay for radio...??

Yeah, or TV. Why pay for TV when you can get all the free TV with an antenna that you want?

:rolleyes:

1. Variety

2. Signal quality

3. Greatly reduced or eliminated commercials

Yeah, or TV. Why pay for TV when you can get all the free TV with an antenna that you want?

:rolleyes:

1. Variety

2. Signal quality

3. Greatly reduced or eliminated commercials

Yeah, fair enough I guess. I personally don't equate the two because I am rarely in my car for hours at a time and I am not in my car to listen to the radio. I can pop a cd in and get exactly the music I want and it is commercial and static free (if my son hasn't scratched the begesus out of it).

To each his own. I still don't get it.

The radio shows I would listen to aren't even on satellite. Either way, if it were an option I might be interested if it doesn't cost much from the factory. I found out how much some of the dealer installed versions are and they're insane! $10 a month still irks me a bit, I really don't know if I consider it worthwhile for the radio in my car to pay that much.

As far as the Cable TV discussion, that's a rip-off too. They keep raising prices and adding next to nothing. I don't hate anyone who commits "cable theft" since as far as I'm concerned the cable companies are practically committing theft too. :p

Satellite radio will probably take off once Howard Stern moves to Sirius. But the problem with car manufactures, they need to decide between XM or Sirius. I don't really care for satellite radio at this time.

I do care about MP3 capabilities or iPod hookup. I don't have an iPod right now. I do have a MP3 player in my current car. That's 11 hours of music on one CD. I take that over a CD changer. This is one of the reasons I'm holding off till the 06 cars come out because I do spend a lot of time in my car and it's nice having a MP3 player.

Satellite radio will probably take off once Howard Stern moves to Sirius. But the problem with car manufactures, they need to decide between XM or Sirius. I don't really care for satellite radio at this time.

I do care about MP3 capabilities or iPod hookup. I don't have an iPod right now. I do have a MP3 player in my current car. That's 11 hours of music on one CD. I take that over a CD changer. This is one of the reasons I'm holding off till the 06 cars come out because I do spend a lot of time in my car and it's nice having a MP3 player.

I think a 1/8" jack should be standard on almost any car these days. I have an iRiver iHP-120 and it would be great to be able to play music off it from time to time. 20 gigs holds a lot I won't have on CDs otherwise.

The changer in my current car doesn't play MP3s so I'd not be losing anything if the Legacy doesn't play MP3s in MY06 when I'm buying but it would be nice. At least my car has a tape deck so I can hook up my MP3 player, can't do that with the Legacy.

I bought the Sirius portable unit and have it in my car and LOVE it! I get all the variety I want, music you don't ever hear on the radio, no commercials, channels for news, sports, weather, comedy, talk, etc. I have a 1/2 hour commute to work and was spending so much of it having to listen to commercials on "free" radio so I decided to give Sirius a try. I don't regret it a bit.

I can also listen to their web broadcast of their music channels when I'm at work and when I'm at home I can plug the unit into my stereo receiver and crank it up so I'm not limited to car-listening only.

The only drawback is that its difficult to get reception inside your house. The antenna needs to have a clear view of the sky so I had to mount the thing outside of my house.

Sattelite radio is kinda like cable TV and high speed internet - once you have it you don't want to go back.

• 2 weeks later...

Bingo.

Just be sure to go with Sirius.

XM is mostly owned by Clear Channel Communications.

The mega monopoly FM channel people. They already broadcast

KISS-FM on one of their channels too. It's only a matter of time

before they begin airing more of their thousands of FM channels they

own. Which DOES make ZERO sense to broadcast FM's FREE stations

on XM's pay stations.

Sirius is smaller and started a year or so later, but MUCH less blabber on the music

stations, ZERO commercials, better variety in music channels...especially if you

like Rock n Roll.

If you don't get Sat Rad, you've never had Sat Rad.

And again, in my opinion and experience, Sirius is the better of

the two...and your not supporting the Clear Channel corporate GIANT

if you get it, like you would be if you get XM

Bingo.

Just be sure to go with Sirius.

XM is mostly owned by Clear Channel Communications.

The mega monopoly FM channel people. They already broadcast

KISS-FM on one of their channels too. It's only a matter of time

before they begin airing more of their thousands of FM channels they

own. Which DOES make ZERO sense to broadcast FM's FREE stations

on XM's pay stations.

Sirius is smaller and started a year or so later, but MUCH less blabber on the music

stations, ZERO commercials, better variety in music channels...especially if you

like Rock n Roll.

If you don't get Sat Rad, you've never had Sat Rad.

And again, in my opinion and experience, Sirius is the better of

the two...and your not supporting the Clear Channel corporate GIANT

if you get it, like you would be if you get XM

BTW, I don't know where you got your info, but Clear Channel hedged their 8+mil shares in 2003. They did this to raise cash for XM.. Hughes is now the largest shareholder with 7+mil shares. Of course, in the future, this can be converted into cash that XM pays Clear Channel, or new stock. But, they essentially have no voting rights on the board. Even then, Clear Channel was only the 6th largest shareholder. It's a bit absurd to say that they are being controlled by the "Clear Channel corporate GIANT".. I don't blame Clear Channel, FM is quickly going the way of AM. They are losing market share, and their technology sucks.. If I saw how well satellite radio was taking off, I would invest in it too.. http://www.google.com/search?q=stocks:XMSR

KISS-FM has been on XM since nearly the beginning. Now it has morphed into a separate channel which KISS does the programming for. No commercials there anymore. Of course, that's the only one.. I doubt you will be seeing any more of that soon, if ever..

Now, I've heard from trustworthy sources (people who have the luxury of listening to both for extend periods of time) that Sirius has the edge on music programming.. But, XM has the better chipsets and sound quality..

I think manufacturers should do what Audi is doing and let consumers decide for themselves..

Either way they are both 100000x better than FM.. I just love that I can listen to fusion jazz, rock, maybe a little pop, etc.. All without having to track down artists of songs I *might* like.. I've heard so many new musicians on XM that my MP3 collection has grown quite a bit.. There's no way I would have had exposure to them any other way..

Back on topic - the new Tribeca will offer satellite radio in 06. Doubt this will be an option on the Legacy though. Perhaps by 2007...?

And folks, let's remember to stay with the original post.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived