LegacyGT.com

3 of 4 speakers dead - 2004 Legacy Wagon

tonebrulee

Hey folks,

New member here, looking for some insight from those in the know.

I've got a 2004 Legacy Wagon that came with the stock AM/FM/CD unit and 4x speakers. About 6 months ago, all but the rear-left speaker cut out entirely. Over the next few months, the 3 dead speakers would all come back to life at once occasionally, sometimes for a few hours, sometimes for a few days, then all 3 would cut out together, back to the one rear-left speaker.

I assumed the problem was with the head unit and recently picked up a basic Sony unit to get a few more features (iPod aux input!) and fix the problem with the dead channels.

Installation went fine, but the new unit also plays just through the rear left speaker - i.e the problem was not the head unit.

SO.... the question is what am I looking here? I'm assuming the problem is in the factory wiring somewhere. The fact that 3 speakers all cut out and come back together should be some kind of clue, but it doesn't suggest anything to me, since each channel has an independent pair of wires coming into the harness.

Is this kind of problem common for Subaru's? Anybody out there have a similar experience, or clues on what I might look at next?

FWIW, I took off the black tape to look at the individual wires coming into the factory harness, and they all looked fine. I also spent some time jiggling the wires where they come into the harness in case the junctions there were problematic, but none of the jiggling caused any change in the dead or single live speaker.

All help much appreciated.

Thanks.

I have the exact same problem in my '03 legacy (down to rear left only). I think when it cuts back in though only the right rear comes back. I came on this forum to see what this was and am very glad to have found your post that it's apparently not the head unit. Only other thing I can think is if there's an amplifier somewhere and the wires from the head unit are low signal but it doesn't sound like it. Would love some insight as well!

I have the exact same problem in my '03 legacy (down to rear left only). I think when it cuts back in though only the right rear comes back. I came on this forum to see what this was and am very glad to have found your post that it's apparently not the head unit. Only other thing I can think is if there's an amplifier somewhere and the wires from the head unit are low signal but it doesn't sound like it. Would love some insight as well!

Hi cresus, nice to meet you. If your setup is like mine, there is no separate power amp - it's either something with the wiring or the speakers themselves. But the fact that with my system all 3 other speakers cut in and out at once is pretty befuddling.

FYI - I've also posted to another car audio board (link below). Little discouraging that this forum hasn't produced any insight given that it's Legacy-specific.

http://www.caraudioforum.com/showthread.php?t=321738

• 1 year later...

Same problem here! However I only get the front right speaker working.

I opened the dash up and scientifically "fiddled" with the wires but obviously nothing changed.

Wish I could help but I'm just here looking for answers as well

big news guys. same problem here too sept i dont even have rear speakers atm. my front left is the one that hasnt come on in weeks but i will come on once and a great while but when i shut the car off and start it again the left speaker is out. not fun. also here for some answers. insightful legacy posters get in here!

Seriously, change the speakers. I was convinced it was wiring or something because it would come and go, but apparently these speakers have some really crappy internal wiring that cause it to fail like this. I've read it in other places as well so it seems like a fairly common problem.

Hey guys - just following up here. The problem was indeed the speakers themselves. Below is my follow-up post at the other forum. I ended up replacing all four speakers and it's been great ever since.

It might also be possible that those speakers are blown and causing the issues.

It look likes this is the problem. I removed the right-front speaker tonight and that speaker was in fact dead - i.e. nothing comes through it when hooked up to an external source, and hooking up a spare working speaker to the right-front channel wiring and it works fine.

What's just so unexplainable is how 3 of 4 speakers could go dead at once, all come back together, and repeat that pattern several times over months until they finally died completely. I mean.. WTF? :confused:

• 1 year later...
where the replacement speakers OEM ,if not what where thy

Nah, not OEM, just something basic and cheap from Best Buy. Can't remember the brand.. maybe Pioneer? Even the cheapest aftermarket speaker sounded much better than the original equipment given it was just a standard non-premium stereo.

• 3 years later...

Archived