LegacyGT.com

Anyone w/FMIC ever build intake to hood scoop?

papp101

I was thinking in advance for the MN winters about my intake/fmic that was installed by the previous owner. It's way down deep in the wheel well, and the plastic flashing has been cut away so it's essentially a foot off the street with no protection from road grime, rocks, and anything that comes off the front right wheel.

As he had installed a WBR FMIC, I was thinking of building some sort of mounted intake similar to the stock one, yet in the position of the no-longer-present TMIC. I'm sure I'd have to vacuum out the filter slightly more often than the sceptre cone filter, but that thing gets FILLED with road grime and winter won't make it any easier.

Anyone ever do this or think about it?

I'm going to chime in on this issue but not with anything helpful. I too have an aftermarket intake (made by AVO) with a FMIC kit, and the issue that i wanna know is ....can a grimed up and dirty looking intake cone filter reduce the amount of boost that the turbo is producing? (this being the boost seen on a prosport boost gauge).

I was thinking in advance for the MN winters about my intake/fmic that was installed by the previous owner. It's way down deep in the wheel well, and the plastic flashing has been cut away so it's essentially a foot off the street with no protection from road grime, rocks, and anything that comes off the front right wheel.

As he had installed a WBR FMIC, I was thinking of building some sort of mounted intake similar to the stock one, yet in the position of the no-longer-present TMIC. I'm sure I'd have to vacuum out the filter slightly more often than the sceptre cone filter, but that thing gets FILLED with road grime and winter won't make it any easier.

Anyone ever do this or think about it?

Check out the "V-mount" thread on NASIOC. Some good ideas to mount up an intake in place of the TMIC. Would require a fair amount of fab work and a blow-through MAF would make it much easier to accomplish.

Archived