LegacyGT.com

Winter setup

specialB

I want to get a cheap winter setup for my spec b. I get heavy snow in my area and i also drive an hour or so to go skiing pretty often. I was thinking it would be sick to have a pair of 16" steelies and a set of BFG all terrains (i had them on my old ram and they worked great, look sweet too). Anyone ever hear of putting those tires on a car? whats a not too clunky looking pair of steelies??

Agreed on the 16s.. 17 is as small as you can do I think. You can get a cheapie set on tireack for winter use then get a dedicated snow tire for them. I was going to do that last year but ended up just getting an 18" set of conti extremes. I'm in upstate ny and they were more than adequate in the worst of conditions.

Only Outbacks have brakes that are compatible with 16" wheels.

As jason said just get a cheapie set of 17", a solid winter tire (searching will get you some good results) and have fun. As for the BFG all terrains I'd seriously doubt if they are made in a size that would even fit an Outback much less a Legacy. Besides you'd probably go deaf from the road noise. :D

The Ridiculousness is no more :( But you can have your very own piece of it. **The Ridiculous Part Out.** :D

Well 16" steelies fit over the front brakes of a "regular" 2.5i.

I have 16" Subaru Forester steel rims for my winter tires. I don`t know about spec B...

Lewis is correct I forgot about the Legacy 2.5i's. They share the same brake setup with all Outbacks hence the ability to fit 16". Both the Spec B and LGT have the same larger calipers and rotors preventing 16" wheels from being used.
The Ridiculousness is no more :( But you can have your very own piece of it. **The Ridiculous Part Out.** :D

Lewis is correct I forgot about the Legacy 2.5i's. They share the same brake setup with all Outbacks hence the ability to fit 16". Both the Spec B and LGT have the same larger calipers and rotors preventing 16" wheels from being used.

This.

My winter setup is on the stock spec.b rims (18's) w/ Dunlop Winter Sport rubber. They took a few trips to VT, Upstate NY, etc for the snow season and they were pretty impressive in some horrid conditions.

That said, on the cheap 17's would prob be the smallest you could go with minimal effort.

• 3 weeks later...

no such thing as 17" steelies

however..there is a member here - rhe - that is using 16's on his LGT for winters. they were rims off a previous car of his and just happen to fit over the stock calipers. this is just by chance, i am in no way saying that 16's will fit...it would be a trial and error situation for everybody else

unless he comes on and posts which rims he has

no such thing as 17" steelies

however..there is a member here - rhe - that is using 16's on his LGT for winters. they were rims off a previous car of his and just happen to fit over the stock calipers. this is just by chance, i am in no way saying that 16's will fit...it would be a trial and error situation for everybody else

unless he comes on and posts which rims he has

I am intrigued...

sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

Ah, I think I found the thread, posts 27/29: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97732

He says they're 16" Compomotive MOs; looks like they are available in anything from 5.5 to 8x16; not sure what width he's running.

sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

I agree with the others - just get a set of affordable, but well-made (like ASA, etc.) 17-inch rims, and you'll be just fine, even in potholed-to-hell areas like NY and NE-Ohio.

:)

I've been on my 17x7.5 Sport Edition A7s for the past two winters. AKLGT has had similar ASA rims on her LGT, way up in Alaska, for about as long. No problems.

Just be sure that you've got good tire pressure, and that your tire purchase also has good sidewall protection. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Plug in details for my 09 Outback XT LTD and Tirerack has a 16" steel "option" for 225/60 R16 Firestone Winterforce. $308.00.

Will that work for me? Car came on standard 225/55 R17 will they clears brakes and not f'up speedo?

I remember something from the owners manual recommending that snow tires are undersided to avoid clearance issues.

Recommendations would be appreciated on the set up and these tires - sorry if it's been covered before.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived