LegacyGT.com

HD Radio

Johnish

I put a unit in mine. I had difficulty getting it to lock in to an HD signal reliably. I ended up getting sick of it dropping out to analog and skipping so I removed it. You may have more luck in a better reception area though. Rule of thumb with HD radio is if you get solid reception on the regular FM station you will likely have good HD reception, if your FM is spotty at all you can expect HD to drop out.

I used a Directed unit: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-EfgqLpmZt0V/p_60744000/Directed-Car-Connect.html

The problem with HD radio (at least with the unit I tried) is that once it locks in, the sound is good. If the radio loses enouhg of the signal, however, it will drop out of HD and switch to regular FM reception. It is similar to the HD signal on your TV only in this case the unit will automatically revert to the analog station if the HD is lost. The result is that you will get the unit locked in to the HD station but as you drive and the reception drops away/changes the unit will lose the HD station and drop to analog. When it drops to analog you will notice the reduction is sound quality and also possibly a time delay switch. It is enough to be even more distracting than just listening to slightly staticy regular radio.

I ended up pulling the unit after trying several different antennas (amplified) as well as the OEM antenna. The dropouts were just so frequent and annoying.

Bottom line is that digital reception is a fine idea, so long as you can promise a strong signal throughout the trip. A static antenna works fine for HDTV as once you get it set up and receiveing a good signal you can be happy. Since a car can move you will experience the HD signal coming and going and since it is digital it is an all or nothing setup, you either get the digital reception or you don't. The constant switching between analog and digital will, however, cause a great deal of distraction.

If you are hoping to improve your basic reception by adding HD radio, don't bother. You get the signal you get with your antenna. You would be better off putting up a mast antenna and hooking it in to you stock deck.

Archived