LegacyGT.com

Replace valves after overheating and blowing head gaskets?

I am a professional mechanic. I recently bought a 1998 Subaru Forester (2.5L DOHC) with 225,000 from a customer that I have been maintaining since 30,000 miles. I purchased it from her because she severly overheated it and blew both head gaskets. The blown apart radiator was replaced and now the heads are off, they have been surfaced and are ready to be replaced. Do these engine have a habit of breaking exhaust valves heads off like other hi performance engines after they have been severly overheated? I'm just not real familiar with the internals of these engines. Is it common to replace valves after overheating.

Thank you.

There is no need to replace them unless damaged, but it wouldn't hurt to do so being you have the heads off them. I know we don't replace them unless they need to be replaced, but I can't say I remember when we needed to.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

• 2 weeks later...

Archived