LegacyGT.com

Looking at Outback XT's in Cali

climber

So a few months ago I sold my mazdaspeed3 and bought an '08 Outback 2.5i. I figured it would be a bigger car which would suit my rock climbing needs (more ground clearance and more space) and I didn't need as much power since the gas mileage plus regular fuel would be a big savings. Unfortunately I can't live without the power. I've been driving/working on turbo cars for six years and I need to get my fix again!

So this time I'm trying to take my time looking at cars. I test drove a Nissan murano, Toyota rav4 V6, BMW X3, and a turbo outback. The X3 is too expensive and I don't think it could handle any off-roading at all. The Murano and rav4 feel too much like SUV's even though I really liked the Murano. So that leaves me with the turbo outback which seems to be the best fit for me.

I'm in socal where outback XT's are a rarity. The only one nearby that has a color I like is a silver '05 with 65k miles listed for $15.5k. I could probably afford to wait for one with lower miles but any savings is good for me since I'll probably be a rock climbing bum within the next year.

I've got a few questions specific to Cali folks. If I were to buy an '08 would I be exempt from emissions until it is 6 years old or do you have to be the original owner for that to apply? That may be a big deal since I'm planning to add a downpipe and tune and it'd be nice to have a few years before dealing with passing emissions here.

My other question: is there any big reason to choose one year over the other? I think I know all the changes from '05-09 and it doesn't seem like there is anything major. For those with SI-drive, does this make the transmission hold a gear longer before upshifting? I know on my car, it upshifts way too early, not sure if that is true on the turbo models as well. I know the '05 has a cat in the uppipe but I could always swap that out. The mp3 jack would be nice on the '07+ but it sounds like I can retrofit something into the '05. Let me know if anyone has a compelling reason to spend a little more on a newer model!

Thanks,

Alex

Is it a rarity? I see one every so often. In the end, I bought (and flew to ) Norcal and drove it down for the color/spec/price that I wanted.

09 has H/K audio

07+ has stability control and SI-Drive

08+ has new look

Well you see one every once in a while but if you had to go to norcal to find one you like then I'd say they are rare! I could probably find any color I want in the 2.5i but only 1 within 300 miles in a decent color XT.

Is there much of a difference in the way the car shifts in sport mode or sport sharp? Or is it mostly throttle response?

Save your $ and try a few things like AVO panel filter and getting a good tune. Speaking from experience as a former lush - trading in cars left and right...just stick with your 08 and spend about 1 - 2K in mods.

Definitely not going to mod the 2.5i, would be a waste of money. I think I'm leaning towards waiting to find an '07 or '08 XT, preferably in Diamond Gray Metallic! I figure if I'm planning to dump several grand in mods that I should get a newer model with fewer miles that will last a while. Plus the catless uppipe and mp3 jack are important!

Alex

Archived