LegacyGT.com

Places to stay in NY when visiting?

Kaos22B

I'm planning a trip for about 4 days or so to NY, going to check the city out, and trying to take in a concert while I'm there (concert is in Jersey).

Just curious if anyone can point me in the right direction for a place to stay, a nice hotel perhaps, not sure what part of town is best (easiest access, safest, affordable etc).

And also, any "must do/see" activities while we're there?

Good nightclubs? :cool:

Edit:Why ask here instead of numerous online resources? Well, I'm looking there too, but I value the LGT guys' input since after all, you guys are nuts just like me (well, atleast when it comes to cars!). :lol:

Thanks

Kian

Check out 42nd st...LOts to do down there. Visit Central Park (btw eat at the Shack Shack), check out the museums. Plenty of clubs at 42nd st. Plenty of bars down by E. Houston St.
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

im going to the darien ny area next weekend, any tips on that? niagra falls is 40 miles away... def gotta see that!

Darien is in the middle of no-where. There's not much to see there. About all I can suggest is 'Darien Lake' (a six flags park) and niagara falls like you mentioned. You can walk around Buffalo a bit, but honestly there's not much there. Could also come to Rochester, but again, not much to see...

What types of attractions are you interested in though? There's a fair amount of state parks in the vicinity.

well were going to the concert friday night, sat is when we were going to go sight seeing. figured id hit niagra falls before i come back home.... i looked online and it doesnt seem like theres a whole lot to see and do.

i like water activities but im open to anything so long as its not too expensive.

You could go through the 'Finger Lakes' on the way home, they're more toward central NY and kind of fun to drive through. If you hit Seneca lake, there's a ton of wineries that are nice to get free tastings from.

Towards Niagara Falls, if you go to the Canadian side, it's much nicer. Also could head towards 'Niagara on the Lake', that's a nice area. If you do go to Canada though, you will need a passport to get across and back. The Canadian side has a lot of touristy stuff (Clifton hill is worth a stop). The American side is ok, and there's stuff to do, but the city is run down and somewhat dirty in comparison to the Canuck side

There's also a kind of neat naval museum in downtown Buffalo (just a ship or two, but you can walk all through them)l.

You could see some minor league sports teams in Buffalo or Rochester (baseball mainly now... too early for the Bills or Sabres)

Not really much else I can think of that would be worth going sight seeing for though

Edit*

Regarding parks, you could hit a few of these on the way back too:

"Grand Canyon of the East - Letchworth Park"

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=9993+Allegheny+Road,+Darien+Center,+NY+14040+(Darien+Lake+Theme+Park+Resort)&daddr=2250+Park+Rd,+Mount+Morris,+NY+14510+(Letchworth+State+Park:+New+York+State+Park+Police)&hl=en&geocode=FdXOjwIdYJ5T-yHd7NdAfUtgjw%3BCbHI8RzIjkcDFULXiwIdjula-yE6NB-pM6kgfQ&mra=pe&mrcr=0&sll=42.792377,-78.140259&sspn=0.73364,1.783905&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=11

Watkins Glen State Park (also near Watkins Glen road race track). This will also take you down Seneca Lake (where the wineries are)

[ame=http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=9993+Allegheny+Road,+Darien+Center,+NY+14040+%28Darien+Lake+Theme+Park+Resort%29&daddr=Watkins+Glen,+NY&hl=en&geocode=FdXOjwIdYJ5T-yHd7NdAfUtgjw%3B&mra=ls&sll=42.849035,-78.14441&sspn=0.366486,0.891953&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=10]http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=9993+Allegheny+Road,+Darien+Center,+NY+14040+(Darien+Lake+Theme+Park+Resort)&daddr=Watkins+Glen,+NY&hl=en&geocode=FdXOjwIdYJ5T-yHd7NdAfUtgjw%3B&mra=ls&sll=42.849035,-78.14441&sspn=0.366486,0.891953&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=10[/ame]

Check out 42nd st...LOts to do down there. Visit Central Park (btw eat at the Shack Shack), check out the museums. Plenty of clubs at 42nd st. Plenty of bars down by E. Houston St.

Thanks, just the kind of stuff I'm looking for.

Would you be able to recommend anywhere to stay?

Archived