LegacyGT.com

HID issue - No flickering just not working except when it wants to

kmfuse87

I got a kit (cheaper but very good) have used this kit (ballast) before on my dad's car and worked without a hitch. But my bulb on the passenger side sometimes does not turn on. If i turn it off then on, then it might go on, but not always a guarantee. Other times it goes on without any issues. Checked to make sure all the points were connected properly tonight and tested them. They went on with no issues, buttoned up the bumper and sure enough the passenger side did not work after i finished. Ballast issue? I can hear the ballast working when i turn the lights on but the light doesn't light (if you know what i mean?).

I installed my HIDs yesterday (expensive Philips HID set no less) and have the exact same issue! Bump for anyone that has some thoughts on what could be going on. Mine came with an extra relay harness, and when it does not energize, I can hear the relay click several times rapidly before giving up. Without a load (ballast unplugged), I can confirm the relay works great, but with the ballast, I occasionally don't get power to the bulb. I'm down to the issue either being the relay latching when under load, or the ballast.

I got a kit (cheaper but very good) have used this kit (ballast) before on my dad's car and worked without a hitch. But my bulb on the passenger side sometimes does not turn on. If i turn it off then on, then it might go on, but not always a guarantee. Other times it goes on without any issues. Checked to make sure all the points were connected properly tonight and tested them. They went on with no issues, buttoned up the bumper and sure enough the passenger side did not work after i finished. Ballast issue? I can hear the ballast working when i turn the lights on but the light doesn't light (if you know what i mean?).

Sounds like a ballast issue, or its not getting enough power and needs a relay harness. Is it a 35w kit or a 55w kit? Did you try swaping the ballasts from one side to the other?

Sounds like a ballast issue, or its not getting enough power and needs a relay harness. Is it a 35w kit or a 55w kit? Did you try swaping the ballasts from one side to the other?

35w and have not switched them. I haven't taken my bumper off yet. I am lazy. I talked to the guy that i got them from and he said he has had this happen before, and it stems from the fact that the plugs fit soooo snuggly most people dont put them in quite enough. So i am going to try that. He said if that doesnt work he will send me another ballast for free. Will be doing that some point this week probably.

Thanks for the help.

Archived