LegacyGT.com

HID Issue, need opinions

FrozenNorthLGT

I purchased a HID Kit (not mentioning the brand right now, but it is presumable a high quality kit and it's from a reputable dealer) in May and It has been trouble free until monday. when I turned my lights on the drivers side bulb flickered once, and then went out. I drove home (approx 15 minutes) and turned the lights off, waited a minute and tried again and nothing from the drivers side bulb, no flicker or anything. I swapped the bulbs side to side and the problem is still on the drivers side. The bulb from the drivers side that didn't work, works fine on the passengers side. I removed both factory plastic connector ends, and made sure the spades are tightly connected to the harness. While they were out, I inspected both bulbs closley and they both have a yellow/green patch in the center section close to the return wire. Also, in the same center part of the bulb it appears "cloudy", but not opaque. I also checked voltage at the headlight plug-in on the drivers side, and with the battery at 12.36V, the plug is at 12.12V. So it appears voltage is getting to the ballast. To me, this sounds like a ballast issue, but Im just starting to learn about HID's.

Ive been in communication with the dealer, and am awaiting a response, but I wanted the opinions of others who have worked with and trouble shot HID Kits more than I have. Thanks in advance.

Well hopefully you have a lifetime warranty and it gets swapped for you... Def. sounds like the ballast is no good.

If it still flickers, sometimes it just needs more power (ie the battery wiring harness) Seeing as it worked all this time without.. probably your ballast still.

I'm fairly certain it flickered for a split second. I wasn't facing a wall or I would know for sure. I seem to remember a flash but it didn't brighten. They have worked flawlessly since I installed them. BTW, in case it matters, my DRL's are disabled, and I always turn the lights off when I park. I don't have a battery harness, but I cant really see how that could have anything to do with this given there performance so far. Yes they are under warranty, I'm just waiting for the vendor to get back in touch with me to see what I need to send in. Sigh....I hate waiting....:spin:

^with some of the kits, warranty is honoured via mfr, not supplier, and sometimes can be a bit more arduous a resoloution than many are prepared to pididdle around with ;)

hopefully that's not the case with your kit, best luck with the fix.

Those HID warranties might not mean squat.

I know (from experience) Apexcone/DDM's "warranty" is that if you have a problem, you send in the part in question. This is of course after you've done your supplier's "100% certainty" troubleshooting methods. So you send it and they will test that part. If they determine that part is working, they will hold it hostage until you pay a "working item fee". Then, you still have to pay them shipping to get the part back and you still don't know what the issue is. If the part is found to be defective, you have to pay them for the new part and shipping.

Ultimately, there is no real warranty, they just let you buy individual pieces of the kit.

I wish the so-called "expert" that sold me the crappy kit was upfront about their practices. I also wish he was relatively close to my location so I could smack him for his horrible customer service.

Sounds like the ballast died. Most of these kits really only have 3 parts, the bulbs, the wiring, and the ballasts(the box) Double check the wiring for lose connections, or damage, if the Bulb works on the other side then is has to be the ballast.

You can buy a new kit for about $70 which is probably cheaper then just trying to buy a ballast from them.

You can buy a new kit for about $70 which is probably cheaper then just trying to buy a ballast from them.

You are right, I could buy a kit for $70, but the problem is I bought a decent, reasonably expensive, kit in the first place. Not a cheap Ebay special. Now Im waiting on some slow ass vendor support. :spin:

You are right, I could buy a kit for $70, but the problem is I bought a decent, reasonably expensive, kit in the first place. Not a cheap Ebay special. Now Im waiting on some slow ass vendor support. :spin:

And you had problems with your "expensive" kit v.s the "cheap" ebay kit so whats your point? You spent more and it still failed? :confused:

This is not from ebay and i have heard alot of good reviews on them.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p=product&id=102&parent=85

and for a little more http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p=product&id=103&parent=85

Just trying to help and offer an alternative in case you dont get support on your defective product, no need to ebay bash me

Well I wasn't bashing anyone, just pointing out to anyone listening that I didn't pick this up on Ebay. I bought it from a vendor with a good reputation, and it's a kit with a good reputation. When I've given up on said vendor and their supposed quick and helpful support, I will explore the option of buying another kit. Now, putting your hurt feeling aside I'm going to carry on with my thread.

I swapped the drivers side ballast/igniter to the passenger side today just for kicks, and It doesnt work over there either, so its pretty obvious that's the issue. Since it is the weekend, I understand most vendors cant be bothered by emails or tech support, so I will wait to see what I hear back, if anything, on Monday. Ill keep whoever is interested, informed.

He'll get support because he bought from us. His issue is like one in a million and I'll see that he may not to even have to send the defective part back. And lots of people in vacation is creating that "slow ass" service this week...

Good luck with your replacement, FrozenGT.

I had the exact type of failure you described, with the DDM kit as well. Right ballast failed - it ignited fine when I swapped the left ballast over. Also moved the right ballast over to the left and the left one didn't ignite.

I know (from experience) Apexcone/DDM's "warranty" is that if you have a problem, you send in the part in question. This is of course after you've done your supplier's "100% certainty" troubleshooting methods. So you send it and they will test that part. If they determine that part is working, they will hold it hostage until you pay a "working item fee". Then, you still have to pay them shipping to get the part back and you still don't know what the issue is. If the part is found to be defective, you have to pay them for the new part and shipping.

I was instructed to send $27US to cover shipping to have it sent back, plus I have to pay another $25CDN to send it back with tracking, so that's pretty much $60CDN just to have the ballast replaced, half the cost of buying a new one.

Wish I didn't have to send my defective part back - then I'd only be out $27US :)

I guess that makes us 2 in a million.

He'll get support because he bought from us. His issue is like one in a million and I'll see that he may not to even have to send the defective part back. And lots of people in vacation is creating that "slow ass" service this week...

I didnt start this thread to vendor bash, let me make that clear. I just wanted more opinions on my problem so I get it solved right the first time. I apologize for my rash, "slow ass" comment. As Oliver said, he is working on it for me. I understand having people out on vacation, and I'm not trying to be impatient, just waiting to get pulled over is all. :rolleyes: I cant put stock halogens back in at the moment cause it's been raining daily lately, and I dont have replacement covers for the lights (on order from Fred Beans as I speak though...:)). I'm not gonna risk getting moisture in the projectors. Thanks for getting back ahold of me Oliver. Let me know if there's anything else you need from my end. I will keep everyone informed as this gets worked out.

Well I got me replacement ballast/igniter today. Plugged everything in, flipped the switch, and all is well...:). The lights fired up perfectally right away. Just like they did originally.

Im more than satisfied with the service I received. Oliver at Xenon Expert went out of his way to make sure I got the parts I needed. Not to mention at no cost to me. (To anyone considering purchasing a HID kit, that's why you should always buy from a reputable vendor, and buy a product with a warranty.) I would have been more than willing to pay shipping, but I didnt pay a dime. Thank you very much for your help.

A side note, that I want to be sure had nothing to do with this issue. Has anyone ever had a problem mounting the drivers side ballast or igniter to the tranny cooler lines? I had them zip tied to those originally, and havent heard of that ever being an issue, but right now I'm waiting to hear for sure before I do the same with the new parts. I cant imagine that they would get hot enough to cause any issues, but better safe than having to replace parts again.

Glad to hear this worked out for you.. I really wish we had oem HIDs.. I want to go HID pretty badly, but not interested in dealing with lights being out or other weird problems. When and if I do finally pull the trigger on an HID setup, I believe I will buy 2 kits at the same time.

Archived