LegacyGT.com

Help with Springs to that won't lower ride height

cschneider

Are there improved springs that maintain the stock ride height or don't lower the car too much? I have about 50K on my '05 5EAT and the some struts are starting to leak. I have considered doing a suspension upgrade by putting on new springs, sway bars and struts. The problem is that I do some fairly spirited driving (never track though) and would like a little more positive feel but I need to be able to occasionally tow so with a hitch every inch of ride height is important. Can anyone give a noob some pointers on what I should and shouldn't do here? I know that I don't want coilovers because of the cost and maintenance but I'd like something more performance oriented than stock. For the struts I've read that the Tokico HTS are a good choice and they are adjustable so I can change settings for long trips with the wife. For springs it seems that the "pinks" are favored but they would probably be too much of a drop. For the bars, I still have to do some more searching.

The other strut option is Koni. They were designed for the stock springs and a few folks have noticed a great performance increase by simply replacing the stock struts with the Koni's

As for springs, if the Pinks are too much of a drop then you're SOL as they are the springs with the least amount of drop for the Legacy. RaceComp Engineering was working on a "regular guy" lowering spring that lowered minimally but was stiffer than stock. Unfortunately they've canned the project in favor of focusing on more profitable products. I can see them revisiting it if the economy perks back up but who knows. The new WRX has a very similar suspension so there's some hope there for us.

Cheers!

Edit: Forgot to include the subiwiki for spring info...

http://subiwiki.com/wiki/index.php/BL_(2005-2009)#Handling_Modifications

Archived