LegacyGT.com

Nissan Leaf - electric car

I think GM, Chrysler, and even Ford up until late had pretty lame, sterile, boring interiors. People joke about the Camry alot around here, but its miles ahead of the Impala and even the CTS interior was a complete joke until the new model came out. I keep my cars and I would not want to spend 150k miles in most GM or Chryslyer cars available right now.

Dunno where that came from. Or if anyone cares.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
$12k buys A LOT of gas.

It's not just about equivalent gas costs. People will pay a little more for the 'green' aspect of the whole thing.

And would it really be all that surprising if they announced a $10k price break on the new model and make themselves look like heroes?

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

It's not just about equivalent gas costs. People will pay a little more for the 'green' aspect of the whole thing.

I call it being "ecospicuous." :lol:

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

And would it really be all that surprising if they announced a $10k price break on the new model and make themselves look like heroes?

Yeah, real heroic... taking taxpayer money in hopes they will become a profitable company and then selling cars for a huge loss.

You're soooo stuck on the fact that GM is making it....

I don't care if Bob Saget was producing the Volt. It will be a good car and it will sell. It should have MPG ratings in the 40-60 range and if they tweak the EPA rating system right, they could show MPG numbers as high as 100 due to the partial electric only system.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

$7500 tax credit would convince me. Plus states also give tax rebates. PA gives $500 for a trad. hybrid, which isn't a deal maker but it's something. And if you're commute fit the Volt's parameters it might really be worth it. But, again I'd wait for the second gen. Volt. No doubt it will be cheaper and more efficient.

tax credits tamper with market forces and cause the problems we're in now.

I'm sick of my tax dollars being used against me to control me like an animal lead around by a leash!

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

The Volt: I'm not interested. I have a long commute which is mostly interstate. Current electric/hybrid technology just is not capable of providing me a vehicle which would allow to go to work and back home without some sort of recharging along the way.

As to union vs. management, government bailouts vs. free market, etc. ----- those really seem like political topics IMHO. :rolleyes::spin:

Why shouldn't it get 400mpt? Most cars average about 350-400 mostly depending on gas tank size. The volt will have to get 30+mpg to make it worthwhile (it will probably get more) and even with only a 10g tank, that's still 300mpt.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

If the government wants to give me money for a state of the art vehicle I will let them.

so you want the govt to take $500 from you and give you $100?

wow.. you can has big brains.

I dont know tht the volt will fail.. the govt will throw money at it like a siege tower trying to take a castle. It has to be pertty miserable a product to fail in that case.

the drive to be green is a money pit that is going to consume billions of US dollars in wasted research..

they will prop up the beaten and bloodied body of the car with everything WE have.. all in the name of an IMAGE of being green. Does the volt REALLY reduce overall waste? doubtful. What about those bateries? whats the replacement cost? how long do they last? sure it doesn't consume gas as much and doesn't necessarily need to be plugged in so its not DISPLACING fuel cost with energy costs like the leaf is doing, but it still will have the waste of batteries that fail, and the car itself, which will probably be crushed every 5 years when the batteries fail, and cost more than the car is worth to replace.

dont get me wrong, this kind of technology has potential, however it is not yet ready for mainstream autos.

what I would like to see is this type of gas electric hybrid application used in different settings before it is deployed on the streets in $50k civic sized cars. Applications for small engines and commercial transport would be a better idea. Going directly to the consumer market with this makes the product weak and gives little incentive to really run it through its paces.

for instance.. most city buses now are liquid propane. forklifts have been for years.. what if the 1st car that was liquid propene driven was a civic propped up by the us govt for the image of being green rather than for actual necessity? Chances are those buses would still be diesel.

No I want the gov. to give me the $7500 for the Volt.

Anyway, I have changed my opinion, well kind of, on the Volt. I read today that GM expects a loss with the first gen., we knew this. But they are intending to sell 10,000 Volts a year. 10,000? I understand that they may be limitd by the number of battery packs available to install in the Volt, but 10,000 is not very many vehicles. The Camry hybrid sold more than 40,000 units last year. And it offers alot less than the Volt.

you want the govt to take $10k from you, and then reduce the price of a $50k car by $7500 ONLY if you buy that car.

what would you rather have? a $7500 credit for buying a specific expensive car.. or the $10k they took from you?

THINK.. THE GOVT DOES NOT CREATE MONEY IT CAN ONLY GIVE IT TO YOU BY TAKING IT.

oh so its ok if they rape me in the rear and then give it to you if and only if you buy this automotive BETA??

yea.. you're an advocate of THEFT.

Archived