LegacyGT.com

Continental ExtremeContact DWS

usedtobeaJusty

Just put a set of 225/45/17 Conti ExtremeContact DWS tires on the car - replaced a set of not that worn Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S of same size.

A few comments so far:

-they are quieter than the Michelin's

- I like the ride better than the Michelin's

- sidewall is definitely stiffer than the Michelin's

- haven't had a chance to drive them in the rain yet

- hopefully the winter traction is far better than I had with the Michelin's

- very slight vibration at various highway speeds despite the road force balancing I got with the tires.

Here's where I am really puzzled. The car is slower and more sluggish since the new tires were installed on Saturday. So I'm guessing it is either the tire is taller than the Michelin's I took off, or it weighs more.

I checked the spec sheets tonight for my old and new tires, and my new conti's are supposedly the same height and they are listed as being 4 pounds lighter than my Michelin's.

So what gives? I'm frustrated because I recently went to Stage 1 and I feel like I moved back to almost stock performance level (seat of the pants feel).

Should I disconnect the battery and let the car re-learn?

The DSW's are more of a competitor to Michelin's Ultra high performance all season Pilot Sports AS Plus rather than the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S you had but looking at the test results they seem to be the best A/S Performance tire edging out both Michelin's and Pirelli's offerings. It is also the cheapest for the top 3 about $50 less than the Michelin and $15 less than the Pirelli. But being a relatively new tire, only real world use and miles will determine how great of a tire it actually is.

• 3 months later...

I have these tires.. I didn't notice a performance difference.. but my tires were extremely worn before.

wet traction left me a little disappointed.

actually dry too, but I moved up from rather soft toyo proxes 4s. These are a more versatile compound it seems.. which means longer life, more grip in more areas.. but overall less grip.

just be patient with them while they break in or you may find yourself sliding a bit.

the only thing I've had with these tires is a sound similar to someone zipping a huge zipper resonating inside the car when I slow down in the 10-0mph range.

its not very loud though..

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Archived