LegacyGT.com

How do you know when the turbo starts to go

Yesterday I started hearing a whine (more like a whaa) at WOT and a bit below. Nothing at idle and gentle acceleration. Sounds like its coming from the right side engine bay . I already looked at the intake system and couldn't find any leaks. Power seems to be down then again yesterday was one of the hottest days here in South fla. Only thing I have done lately is change the oil on Sat with Rotella synthetic which I have been using for 6 months now. Car has 80,000 miles and has run like a champ. Really hope its not the Turbo as I was hoping to get to 100 k with it.

Call me crazy but both times I've lost a turbo I was alerted by a slide-whistle type noise that went from low to high as I hit the gas. After that the turbo was trash. I have no idea what made the noise unless it was oil being forced where it normally doesn't go.

I had a gasket that went bad on my UP, if its the same issue, the gasket could just be getting worse which is causing you to lose even more power.

For the cheaper option we can hope... But a new turbo is always a nice thought :) Get the TD05-16G, its only $650 brand new... (Just IMO)

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

I'll check the UP today. Already had a problem previously when the UP lower bolts vibrated loose . It was much louder then but also had power loss.

TD05 -16g not a bad idea. How does it spool vs our vf-40. One thing I am looking for is not losing the great spool we get. I know of others that are happy with the Vf 42 but have missed the low end spool of the Vf 40 none-the-less

Well I checked the UP/DP and no go, they are both on there good and tight (although I can't cmpletely rule out a gasket leak). Also checked the IC connections and they appear okay. Problem is still there and hasn't gotten any worse. I don't think its from the right side engine bay either (my left ear is hearing less due to a recovering infection soI had the illusion it was coming from the right side). My tuner (the only one I trust with my car) linked the possibility of blow by with the oil change and oil in the IC or passages or connections. I remember reading about something similar in the Perrin website regading their catch can. Tomorrow I pull the IC (AVO TM)

Problem solved , it was an intercooler hose leak after all. It was on the bottom so I couldn't see it with a visual check. Car runs great again. I really missed the power , makes one drive so much different.

Whoops, I may have spoken too soon. On the way to work I noticed the car felt like a fairly strong Normally aspirated car and not the torque monster it usually is (at least at highway speed). Whistling sound fixed , now I hope its the ECU running lean and pulling Boost and timing. Hopefully a reset will do the trick or else back to the drawing board.

I may need some help here. Did an ECU reset and nothing. Obviously I need to find my Accessport and record boost or do a datalog. Called one of my local tuners and spoke to the Subie expert . He told me Turbo's usually pour oil into the exhaust when they go. My ride makes no strange noises or has any evidence of oil leakage. I'm going to check my wastegate acuator tonight (an AVO piece).

On another note I called Blouch Turbo (in advance of the fact I may have to change my turbo). A tech told me they don't rebuild VF-40's they do their 18g upgrade with good working turbo's only (IHI doesn't have a rebuild kit and the one rebuild kit offered is not up to the high standards of Blouch). He did tell me they are working on a Legacy/new WRX fitment Turbo that should be ready for sale in the fall but is undergoing testing right now. He also said the community should be excited about this new turbo. I hope my T is okay so i can be a recipient of this beauty.

Found my accessport, boost pressure goes to 10.4 max. Car runs excellent except for not hitting normal boost. Did not get a chance to pull the wastegate actuator but at first glance it looks okay.

Archived