LegacyGT.com

Ixiz AOSep install tips

it almost seems to me like the two inlet hoses on my setup are connected to the head vents only. In the one pic u can see the a hose goes from the breather unit down to the passenger side head vent. the other hose is connected to the plastic hose that runs on the back of the intake manifold from the driver side head vent. maybe i am mistaken in what the vents actually are but, i do not see where the crank vent is and the drain hose seems to be going into the pcv valve instead of the the crank vent. IDK

like this:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j133/s13slider44/CrawfordInstalled2.jpg

The side port on the PCV valve goes to the intake manifold, but the bottom of the PCV valve is connected to the crankcase vent. So, your setup is just using the same line for both crankcase ventilation (via the filters on the top of the box) and for oil drain.

It seems reasonable to me. If you look at the first diagram you posted, you can see that they both connect to the same point on the crankcase, they just connect to different points on the separator. The internals of the Ixiz allow it to get bit better separation by using separate ports for the drain and the vent input - hard to explain without a picture of the inside. But with your setup, the blow-by doesn't get recirculated when you're under boost, so there's not much point using separate ports and lines for oil drain and crankcase ventilation (or head ventilation, for that matter).

...however when you're just idling or cruising, with the intake manifold in vacuum, the PCV valve opens and the manifold pulls air from the crankcase and/or the air filters. That means that some blow-by will get recirculated. Does it matter? I dunno. I doubt it's a big deal since when you're in cruise there's probably hardly any blow-by anyway.

However since key parts of the PCV system have been removed (most notably the fresh-air input via the head breathers), I don't see any advantage to keeping the PCV valve.

Does it really matter? I dunno. I'm just nitpicking for the sake of completeness. :)

• 11 months later...
Also, I'm now running mine without the PCV valve. Stuff flows out of the case/heads and into the turbo inlet. I've been thinking it might be a good idea to use the PCV valve itself, but plumb it in so it pulls from the separator rather than straight from the case. But I'm in no hurry to change anything.

I plan on installing the same AOSep that you used. I'd like to plumb it w/o using the PCV valve but you mention here that you think that you should reuse it, though it sounds like you want to use it differently then the stock way. I'd like to follow what you did but am concerned because I think that my PCV is not working.

I guess my question is, does the PCV need to work for the setup that you suggest? Can I remove it and install a cheap inline PCV from the auto parts store?

Thanks for the help.

Jump on it, Let's do it, Ride it, My Pony...

EL4NFZT7

I am still running without the PCV valve.

The one advantage to the PCV (that I know of, anyway) is that it allows you to use the vacuum behind the throttle plate to pull air through the crankcase. On the other hand, there's boost behind the throttle plate sometimes, which is the opposite of what you want.

When I wrote the post above, I was hoping to find a way to get the best of all the options: use the manifold vacuum to get more flow when you're out of boost, and use inlet vacuum to assist flow when in boost, while blowing through the A/O separator at all times. You get the first two with the normal PCV system (no separator), but I think the last one is more important, and that's only possible with the non-PCV setup. Well, it think it's do-able with an additional boost-actuated valve, but I couldn't find something suitable and I don't think the extra complexity is worth it anyway.

So, I'm still PCV-less and I'm OK with that. Cooties can accumulate in my engine when I'm off boost for extended periods, so I just don't let that happen. :)

NSFW, when you eliminated your PCV valve what did you use to go where it was? I am basically done except for that. You can call me rather then responding to this if needed.

Jump on it, Let's do it, Ride it, My Pony...

EL4NFZT7

Archived