LegacyGT.com

oh no.. uppipe install DISASTER

specialB

So i just installed my grimmspeed flex uppipe and started the car up...pull to the top of the driveway to check and make sure all is well (thank god i did). few moments later i see smoke so i get out and my oil is spewing all over the ground. i killed the car and watch the rest of it drain out. I was feeling around and on the motor itself i feel a hole on the bottom corner of the motor where the old pipe had to pass through. I was yanking on it pretty good before but hard enough to put a hole in the crank case?? im waiting for my camera to charge so i can actually see the damage, i realllly hope its just some rubber gasket that i f**ked up. It feels like it could be a chunk of metal missing from the engine. oh no, dear lordy...

ill get the picture up as soon as i can

I read this happens quite a bit when people get medievel on the uppipe.

You ripped out half moon seal that seals the space between head and rocker cover. The cover needs to come off, and the seal replaced. If you forced the seal inside and it got chewed by the cams, then you're in far more serious trouble.

That is the cam seal/gasket. It fairly common for people who don't know the proper procedure(take nut off passenger side motor mount and jack up the engine or just pull the turbo off and go from the top) to hit it and rip that gasket out. The only fix is to take it in and have the valvecover/cam gasket replaced. Good Luck.

Looks like many others replied while I was typing...

Let's kick this pig!

yea idk why i didnt take the mount off to begin with, i was wrestling that thing for a good twenty minutes before i decided to just jack the damn motor up and it came out like 1 2 3. What a sigh of relief i thought i blasted a hole in the side of my motor i was about to have a heart attack haha. but yea i mearly backed up maybe fifteen feet out of the garage and got out and saw oil pouring. didnt even start coming out until i was done backing the car up. im soooo happy i didnt go and take it for a test run right away. a seized motor is about 45690843634986456 times worse than a seal.

how much of a bitch is it to remove the valve cover?? its only a rubber seal right? so hopefully hes just hangin out down there

He only went to the end of the driveway , he should be ok.

Enough if the cam seal was chewed by the cams. The bits can be in the journal, oil passages, etc.

Also, jacking up the motor for up install is completely unnecessary. The up can be removed without doing that and without damaging anything.

Enough if the cam seal was chewed by the cams. The bits can be in the journal, oil passages, etc.

Also, jacking up the motor for up install is completely unnecessary. The up can be removed without doing that and without damaging anything.[/quote./]

It would wind up in the pan and get caught by the oil pump pick-up screen if anything. I can't see that pipe coming out like you say on our cars, I done at least 15 or 20 installs and no way does that thing just slide out of there, at least the OE one won't.

Jack the motor and avoid poping your cam plugs :).

It would wind up in the pan and get caught by the oil pump pick-up screen if anything.

If he is lucky. If it blocks an oil passage it may restrict oil flow somewhere. It's still mystery to this day to me what blocked cam journal on my motor causing it to sieze up.

I can't see that pipe coming out like you say on our cars, I done at least 15 or 20 installs and no way does that thing just slide out of there, at least the OE one won't.

I removed just one. It DOES come out without hitting anything. You need to improve your technique...

If he is lucky. If it blocks an oil passage it may restrict oil flow somewhere. It's still mystery to this day to me what blocked cam journal on my motor causing it to sieze up.

I removed just one. It DOES come out without hitting anything. You need to improve your technique...

Only way it will come out without hitting anything IME is if your removing the pass side manifold and pulling the EGT probe while the pipe is still in the car.

Only way it will come out without hitting anything IME is if your removing the pass side manifold and pulling the EGT probe while the pipe is still in the car.

Well, yes and no. I removed the manifold but didn't remove the probe.

got er, fully in tact. how should it go back in? it need silicone?

You should use new gaskets and you need sealant. I recommend Permatex Right Stuff. Regular RTV silicone is pretty crappy stuff, unless you get Fuji bond, etc.

Archived