LegacyGT.com

LGT Tranny Fluid

jadakiss

Hey guys,

Recently changed ATF in my '06 LGT using the iterative drain and fill approach.

The fluid to start with was kinda brown and upon doin three drain and fills as recommended in an iterative manner, my tranny fluid is still light brown..almost translucent. Why is this?

I was really thinking that since i removed the majority of fluid it wud at least be kinda pink-ish?

Is this a sign that the clutch has burnt or sumthing of the sort? The fluid doesn't smell full blown burnt, jus slightly burnt and it doesnt have any filings etc

Should i be concered? thanks guys!

Flush should be safe and the manufacturer allows for it when it's called for (meaning they don't recommend that you do it at every oil change). I personally would, it sounds like the ATF is pretty spent. You wanna get that crap out before it starts really burning and sludging and forming deposits because THEN a flush will REALLY become unsafe. My tranny has 73K on it and I wouldn't flinch having it flushed.

Do a flush, but make SURE you use OEM tranny fluid. the 5-speed automatic does NOT take Dexron III stuff. Use OEM Idemitsu fluid that comes in silver plastic quart bottles (NOT white, that stuff is for the 4-speed automatic and sometimes dealers screw up). Not using OEM is gambling with it and besides, it's top quality stuff anyways. Your dealer will be able to do the flush, if you go to another shop their flushing machine may actually require as much as 16 quarts to do a full flush since 99.9% will not readily have a machine stocked with Idemitsu ATF.

Archived