LegacyGT.com

Perrin TMIC and DP: 09OXT

Finished installing the Perrin larger TMIC and Perrin two-cat DP along with now running COBB's stage II AP map.

Fitment: with the Perrin TMIC, the plastic cover over the wiring harness that runs in front of the intercooler had to be removed. Shaving the engine cover was a PITA; an electric grinding type tool could have helped. The bottom two points of the cover have OEM popits, the top two now have bolts. Had to drill the tabs on the TMIC myself. I could not get the final alignment to work for the life of me and had Dustin at Surgeline Tuning here in Portland, OR finish this work. He is amazing at that type of work among other skills.

The Perrin two part DP leaves something to be desired in terms of fitment. basically the DP curves up-words so that where it meets the axle-back (so at the flange) it is very close to the drive shaft. The OEM heat-shield here cannot be used. This is a shape issue, not size meaning if the Perrin DP ran more straight one could retain the OEM heatshild. I would love to borrow a cobb DP and see if it does the same thing or if this is truly a Perrin error or simply an erroneous DP I managed to get. The DP is wrapped and mated up fine with the OEM axle-back. There is a slight increase in noise level from the new DP but nothing someone who has never been in the car would comment about.

OEM turbo heat shield was lightly modded and put back on. The car is smooth and responsive. I am looking forward to it being less than 100 degree here to see how it truly feels. I would dare say that every intercooler was heat-soaked these past couple days.

I will try and take some photos this weekend.

I have not heard of that particular fitment issue with the Perrin dp. I've spent a lot of time in close proximity to the tail end of my Perrin 2-piece catted dp, and there's pretty good clearance.

The fitment on the Perrin TMIC is not a surprise. If you want good fitment for more $, the AVO TMIC is a good choice, but the Perrin should flow better.

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Why would the Perrin flow better than the AVO?
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

There is some debate over this. The AVO is physically smaller than the Perrin but whether there is any significant difference in airflow or cooling properties is only speculation.

I have both the Perrin TMIC and downpipe to y on my '05 and the fitment is basically exactly as described. The TMIC isn't as much of a PITA as many whine about but it certainly isn't just plug and play. As for the downpipe I put in longer hangers which helped and you can also hang a little on the dp and then crank down the bolt on the support bracket so the assembly is forced to hang a little lower.

The Ridiculousness is no more :( But you can have your very own piece of it. **The Ridiculous Part Out.** :D

My local tuner said they have maxed out a AVO TMIC with a slightly larger turbo where they have not done so with the Perrin. I think this was flowing some around the size of a AVO380 or whatever the next step up might me. So for a stock turbo, the AVO TMIC might make sense but if you plan to upgrade, it might end up being worth having a TMIC that can handel more flow.

DukeTrout: maybe I got a Perrin with a poor angle at the Turbo flange? The issue I speak of was also there when this PD was installed on an 08STi.

I would dare say that every intercooler was heat-soaked these past couple days.

Are you getting enough air going through the cooling fins on the TMIC? I have the AVO TMIC and it feels ice cold on the top and right sides after going 60 mph for a few minutes. The lower left corner near the turbo is the only part that feels warm. I drove the car of a bit and let it sit so everything under the hood was heat soaked. Then I drove it for 5 minutes and check the TMIC and it was cool to the touch.

• 4 weeks later...
Are you getting enough air going through the cooling fins on the TMIC? I have the AVO TMIC and it feels ice cold on the top and right sides after going 60 mph for a few minutes. The lower left corner near the turbo is the only part that feels warm. I drove the car of a bit and let it sit so everything under the hood was heat soaked. Then I drove it for 5 minutes and check the TMIC and it was cool to the touch.

My comment was b/c of the 106 degree days we were having. :lol:

Now my nemesis is the rattling coming from the Perrin TMIC. I must find this rattle before it puts me in a permenent bad mood. The car had not'a one rattle before install. I hope it is stimple.

this is the best mod IMO if youre running a perrin tmic. after taking the tmic on and off a few times one of my turbo bolts stripped. ended up doing seeeeya's mod and i can now take the tmic on and off in about 5 minutes without any alignment headaches when reinstalling.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75715&highlight=perrin+bolts+turbo

this is the best mod IMO if youre running a perrin tmic. after taking the tmic on and off a few times one of my turbo bolts stripped. ended up doing seeeeya's mod and i can now take the tmic on and off in about 5 minutes without any alignment headaches when reinstalling.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75715&highlight=perrin+bolts+turbo

well for sure if I ever strip it out. Not sure what other option there is since re-threading is not wise b/c you will eventually run out of material.

still does not solve the rattle/buzz...

Archived