LegacyGT.com

How Much Can the Stock Tranny Handle???

5MT not for long.

5eat not for long.

4eat not for long.

6mt yes.

But you could modify each of them to hold the power. Costs $$$$ though. Might want to just trade up to an STI.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

probably the 5speed we all share.

and wants to know how much he can pump thru HIS tranny because the LGT has been around longer and has seen its fair share of crazy people who try to push the engine and drive components to the max.

to answer your question..

we have had a few crazies in the 350+whp range. some people have broken stuff but from what i know none have been transmissions.

i've heard of tranny failure but seems they were going really crazy. either bad luck or below average driving aptitude on those.

car for sale. PM me!

Right now I am around 330 wtq. The furthest I would want to mod the car would be fmic and maybe a blouch 2.5r turbo. This combo would put me above the 350 whp mark and I was wondering if it would be too much to handle.

I just don't want that much power if I am more than likely gonna need new trans/gears

from what I hear, when you start getting into the 400 HP range, you start getting into the danger zone... especially near 450 HP, that is the area where most transmissions start to go out. Do a thread search on the topic though to further research this though...

it all depends on how you drive it

kevkel33 blew gears in his 5mt at stage 2 power (which is getting close to what your car should be making stock)

j255c blew 3rd running a dom 2 while doing a 3rd gear highway pull...his car was probably making right in the middle of your target power

don't let anyone tell you the STis 6mts are invincible...strong? yes, very strong actually but invincible? no

on the old wrxs, guys were blowing out gears on stock power

There are a handful of blown trannies, maybe 15 tops. About half of them can be contributed to abuse or ignorance on the drivers part.

The current 5MT is worlds stronger than the 5MT people associate with the WRX. Mod it, drive it, love it. Fix it when it breaks.

300whp on the old WRX tranny could and would pop them. rear diffs too.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I might just upgrade my fuel pump and injectors get retuned and call it a day. I also kinda wanna go fmic w/ stock turbo. One of the shops I go to suggested ewg and that should get me close to 330-350 whp stock turbo

Archived